The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist Governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The National Office Assistant will work under the overall supervision of FAO Representative (FAOR) in Tajikistan.
The National Office Assistant will provide clerical and administrative support according to existing rules and regulation of UN, manuals and the best practices of the Organization.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assist the Assistant FAO Representative (AFAOR)/FAOR in all routine tasks related to office administration;
- Receive, screen, log and route incoming and outgoing correspondence and documents, attach necessary background information and maintain a follow-up system;
- Draft routine correspondence, including letters and minutes of meetings as directed;
- Organize meetings and appointments, keep agendas and take notes at meetings;
- Keep directories of names, addresses and contact numbers of Government officials, international and national NGOs and other relevant organizations inside and outside Tajikistan;
- Facilitate communication between FAO and government, donors, partners from/into local languages;
- Operate the telephone switchboard, receive and channel calls, receive and send fax messages;
- Based on the approved vouchers, prepare instruction to the bank for the transfer of funds, or write a cheque to the payee;
- Manage the Country Office petty cash;
- Organize and maintain a proper filing system for all incoming and outgoing correspondence;
- Perform any other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Secondary school education, certification in business administration and/or management is an asset;
- At least 3 years of previous experience working for international organizations in programme and project activities and/or in the secretarial/administrative field;
- Fluency in English, Russian and Tajik languages (written and oral);
- National of Tajikistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office applications, Internet, etc.;
- Experience in a general administration with international organizations will be an asset.
- Affinity with the mandate and role of the United Nations and FAO.