The main aim of the FAO Country Offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist the governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The National Operations Officer reports to the Programme Officer under the overall guidance of the FAO Subregional Coordinator for Central Asia and the FAO Representative in Turkey. He/she also works under the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and in collaboration with FAO Turkey Office (FETUR) Team.
Technical Focus: Programme development, coordination and operational assistance based on knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions in the country of assignment. Ensure the smooth functioning of project operations, consistent service delivery, and continuous evaluation, readjustment and improvement of the operational environment to reflect the FAO Representation’s evolving needs.
Key Results: Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Representation.
- Acts as a focal point for all matters related to the daily operation of the field projects assigned;
- Prepares project task force meetings and ensures the availability of secretarial support;
- Ensures timely provision of inputs for personnel, technical support services, subcontracts, training, equipment/supplies and other needs related to project operations;
- Participates in the preparation of project work plans, monitors progress and where necessary, identifies corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Assists with the management of the project budget and prepares revisions as required;
- Coordinates the timely preparation and submission of project progress and terminal reports required (as specified in the project agreements), as well as contributes to the preparation of analytical reports on the Representation's portfolio as a whole;
- Coordinates actions related to timely field project completion/closure, including identification of project follow-up requirements;
- Contributes to the preparation and/or assessment of new projects;
- Ensures the quality of data/documentation in the Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS) for all pipeline and operational field projects in the country.
- Supports the coordination of the day-to-day project operations implemented under FETUR, in order to ensure timely provision of scheduled inputs and monitor their execution in line with the project work plan;
- Participates in the Project Task Force and provides guidance and advice on the Project Cycle Management (PCM) procedures, and ensures conformity of the activities with the project document;
- Supports project staff for the completion of the project's Monitoring and Evaluation (M-E) plan including the baseline assessments and their compliance with the M-E plan for FETUR projects portfolio;
- Supports budgetary management and monitoring of the approved field expenditures and draft financial reports and statements as per donor requirements;
- Participates in the planning and review of budget plans, monitor expenditures and, where necessary, identifies corrective measures to overcome operational constraints when needed;
- Maintains detailed records of budget estimates, obligations and available balances;
- Prepares budget revisions as required and on the basis of the changes within plans of activity;
- Supports monitoring of the project budgets to ensure availability of funds when payment requests are due;
- Updates the FPMIS inputs, and forecasting estimates and ensures appropriate updating of the system for FETUR project portfolio;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- National of Turkey;
- Advanced university degree in a field related to business or public administration, or a subject relevant to the work of FAO;
- One year of relevant experience in office management, administration, accounting and/or audit, budget or finance;
- Working knowledge of English and Turkish.
- Results Focus
- Team Work
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable
- Knowledge of UN field programmes, or FAO operational work within the agricultural sector in Turkey would be an asset
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project management including PCM, project design techniques, donor reporting
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations (UN) or FAO, would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to analyse complex donor compliance, project implementation and other operational issues in line with governing regulations, rules and relevant project management guidelines
- Experience in the region covered by SEC is desirable;
- Proven report writing skills