Modern Parliament for a Modern Armenia project is designed to strengthen the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia in its new and fundamentally enhanced role within the governance system in carrying out key functions of law-making, oversight, and representation. With a long-term goal of enhancing the overall effectiveness of the Parliament as a policy-making institution, the project is designed to support the National Assembly to take the advantage of the modern governance tools and mechanisms that are focusing on improved quality, transparency and inclusiveness of parliamentary operations and enhanced parliamentary capacity for gender-responsive policymaking, as well as overall safety and security of the Parliament and its operations.
The three components of the project are focused on the areas of Legislative capacity, Legislative transparency, and Legislative responsiveness. To that end, a three-stage strategy will be applied:
- catalytic stage of needs assessment, strategic agenda-setting, and pilots of the designed approaches,
- full-fledged implementation of the strategic agenda, tested approaches and activities,
- evaluation of the implementation, policy recommendations, and project closure.
The project is planned for the period of four years (2019-2022) during the term of the National Assembly of the 7th Convocation (2019-2023). The project will be implemented through a basket fund model.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Specialist, the Adviser will provide advice and support for the MAP Programme on parliamentary assistance, activities with national partners and the project’s employees as they relate to the Programme.
The National Adviser will provide advise and input on a spectrum on parliamentary assistance focused on innovate aspects and guidance to support the MAP Project in producing the results specified in the project documents, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Adviser will act under the overall supervision of UNDP MAP Project CTA and Associate Coordinator and work in coordination with the other two advisers engaged by the MAP Project, to provide inputs and advice on various matters related to the work of the National Assembly within the MAP Project Scope as follows:
- Provide policy advice on achieving the MAP Project outcomes
- Identify, collect and analyze relevant policy-related information and data to be formulated as advice to the CTA and Team Leader. This includes:
- Mapping and reporting on the CSOs cooperation with the National Assembly.
- Analysing the OGP process in parliaments and proposing steps for the National Assembly of Armenia
- Map the follow up on the scrutiny and participatory events conducted by the National Assembly under MAP as well as in general and provide policy recommendations on how to enhance the practice.
- Map interventions and results on the pre- and post-legislative scrutiny in the National Assembly of Armenia and devise policy recommendations thereon.
- Prepare Comparative Analysis on the pre- and post-legislative scrutiny including examples from several different parliaments
- Capture and analyze the National Assembly’s and CSOs consultative and participatory workshops
- Participate in and report on meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects.
- Analysis of the CSOs-NA cooperation provided
- Analysis of OGP process in parliaments provided
- Follow up on the Scrutiny and Participatory Events of the National Assembly of Armenia mapped, policy recommendations provided
- Interventions and results of the pre- and post-legislative scrutiny mapped; policy recommendations delivered.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in in Law, Economic or Public Administration, political and/or social sciences, or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of specialized experience in international context in governance, legislative strengthening, democratization, five of which may be in legislative development;
- Minimum 5 years of respective working experience in policy analysis, project/programme;
- Strong technical knowledge of the field of parliamentary development, as well as a general knowledge of cross-cutting democratic governance issues;
- Strong networks within the international parliamentary development community;
- Proven experience and knowledge in policy related assessments;
- Experience in writing report/analysis/ policy outlook;
- Sound knowledge of political and administrative system in Armenia;
- Experience and/or knowledge in gender equality and innovation;
- Experience in parliamentary development is an asset;
- A strong knowledge of the Armenian political process and political decision making;
- Experience in research on political issues;
- Experience working in a political environment.
- Native in Armenian and excellent written and oral English language is required.