National Professional Officer
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Cairo, Egypt
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The Regional Office for RNE is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
- Reporting Lines: The National Professional Officer (Information and Communications Technology) reports to the Senior Administrative Officer in the Region and receives technical guidance from the relevant technical Division in HQ.
- Technical Focus: Delivery and support of Regional ICT/IS services, equipment, products, systems, network and telecommunication infrastructure (including Video Conference facilities).
- Key Results: Effective customer support. Implementation of corporate ICT strategies and plans at regional level. Confidentiality, integrity and availability of all ICT systems. Management of IT resources in the region.
- Provides information on, and enforces compliance with, IT policies, standards and established procedures; assist in disseminating information on ITC matters to the user community in a timely manner;
- Coordinates the operational delivery of l IT services and the IT service levels across the Region;
- Ensures delivery of IT services, including service desk, network infrastructure and services, LAN-based Internet access and local operations of video conferencing;
- Provides support to corporate and specialized information systems at local level, with deployment of and quality assurance of services, including web publishing technology and collaboration information systems;
- Evaluates, plans and ensures implementation of local IT maintenance and deployment activities, including module updates and overall systems improvement, in line with IT Division guidelines and standards;
- Analyses and identifies hardware and software requirements, as well as network and server configurations and manages the IT equipment life cycle; keeps inventories and FAO IT assets up to date;
- Reviews and analyzes ICT related user needs and recommends plans to meet identified needs together with related operational procedures;
- Provides technical inputs to project proposals involving network and telecommunication technologies;
- Manages the equipment and facilities related to network and telecommunication systems and the deployment or implementation of security changes to local ICT infrastructures according to corporate security guidelines;
- Contributes to the production of yearly local ICT plans, with comprehensive identification and assessment of risks and requirements for Service improvements, information systems and applications plans and Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plans.
- Performs other duties as required
- National of Egypt
- Advanced university degree in computer sciences, engineering, communications, mathematics or other closely related fields
- Two years of relevant experience in the field of information and communications technology
- Level C of the official communication language used for communication in the country (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian)
- Working knowledge of the local language (if not English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese)
- Desirable level B of English (if the main communication language is French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese)
- Results Focus
- Team Work
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in system administration for PCs, and other ICT equipment; extent of experience with current versions of Microsoft Windows Server and Exchange, and communications equipment e.g. Cisco IOS
- Extent and relevance of experience in user support (desktop hardware configuration, diagnosis and repair, and with software configuration, Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office software) with service oriented and good problem solving skills related to IT-issues
- Extent and relevance of experience in vendor relations, e.g. with hardware service providers, telecommunications providers
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting information technologies and communications network within large-scale LAN and WAN environments, including extensive familiarity with basic telecommunication technologies such as telephony, IP networking and Wide Area Networks