National Professional Officer
World Health Organization, Jakarta, Indonesia
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the WHO Indonesia Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by supporting the Indonesia Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and developing and managing WHO's technical cooperation programmes. WHO provides guidance and technical support in organizing the humanitarian health response and in revitalizing the capacity of the health sector to rebuild and recover from emergencies in appropriate and sustainable ways. The Country Office develops a two-way collaboration with the Government of Indonesia in support of their efforts of achieving national health goals; of ensuring the attainment of universal health coverage and of contributing to global and regional public health action by providing need-based technical assistance in national level policy formulation, setting norms and standards, improving knowledge dissemination and management, monitoring country health situation and building sustainable institutional capacity, to play a greater leadership role in different national level policy and technical forums. Within the framework of the Collaborative Country Cooperation Strategy, the Health Systems Programme's objective is to promote universal health coverage through strengthening primary health care. The Programme supports the Government of Indonesia in advocating for a more integrated human resource development; facilitating the delivery of quality and integrated people-centred services; ensuring equity in national health policies, strategies and plans through formulation of legal and regulatory frameworks to implement the Health Financing Strategy and further strengthening capacities in generating information and utilizing evidence as well as in ensuring quality medical products.
The Programme in Category 4 is mainstreamed into four areas:
- National health policies, strategies and plans;
- Integrated people-centered health services;
- Access to medicines and health technologies,
- Health system information and evidence.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of MO (Health-Services Delivery) and overall guidance of TO (Health System + Universal Health Coverage) and the WHO Representative, the incumbent will perform the following duties specific to Indonesia:
- Support health policies and strategies development including communication with different stakeholders (in- and outside the health sector) and key country partners; assist with technical consultations and dialogues;
- Provide technical assistance on the national health planning process such as situation analysis, priority setting, and budgeting of the plan, with a view of strengthening national policies, strategies and plans.
- Assist regular policy reviews/assessments and evaluations of the implementation of national health policies, strategies and plans.
- Support the MoH in establishing and nurturing effective inter-governmental coordination mechanisms for ensuring Health in All Policies (HiAP) and addressing social determinants with other ministries and government entities (e.g. Parliament, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Transport and etc.).
- Assist the MoH to strengthen its regulatory and coordination functions of the private sector; through the development of relevant mechanisms (e.g. standards, accreditation, licensing) and effective partnerships.
- Support the MoH in creating effective partnerships with non-state actors (private sector, NGOs, civil society, academia, etc.) towards the progressive realization of Universal Health Coverage.
- Support the MoH in strengthening its leadership role and the management skills of health managers at all levels through innovative approaches that promote good governance and improved performance of the health sector.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen mechanisms and tools adopting a results-based approach to management in the health sector.
- Support efforts to enhance the generation, analysis/interpretation and use of evidence for decision making, through coordination with relevant departments in government for the design and implementation of appropriate platforms and capacity building of key stakeholders.
- Assist in the development, harmonization and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation frameworks for UHC; the Health, Nutrition, and Population Sector Plan (2016-2021); as well as the reporting on these, the MDGs and the recently endorsed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Provide technical assistance on activities for further developing the health information systems through innovative and appropriate use of technology, including e-health tools and processes with a view of improving health system performance.
- Provide inputs and contribution to UHC and overall health systems development efforts in Indonesia.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Essential: University degree in Medicine or a health related field.
- Desirable: Master's degree in public health, health policy and planning, health administration/management or a relevant field. Training in the area of health systems or health policy and planning
- Essential: At least five years of relevant experience in health systems development, with a focus on health policy and planning, and health services management.
- Desirable: Some years of international experience of working with UN agencies or International Organization is an advantage.
- Essential: Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners in Countries. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministry of Health and with stakeholders at the country level, as well as with the regional, Inter Country and Staff at the Country level. Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synergize and communicate complex and ideas verbally and in writing. Ability to plan, analyse data and design studies. Technical expertise and Overall attitude at work are also required mandatory competencies.
- Other skills (eg. IT): Proficiency in Microsoft office, and working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of written and spoken English and Bahasa, Indonesia.