OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The WHO Global Service Centre (GSC), Malaysia, provides specialized services to all staff and all WHO offices worldwide in respect of human resources, procurement, finance and support of corporate IT applications and infrastructure. The aim of the GSC is to provide the swift and reliable delivery of a comprehensive array of products and services covering all these fields. The Global Finance team (GFI) within the GSC provides processing and accounting services for payroll, pension, accounts payable, travel and expenses and awards transactions as set out in the Service Catalogue. The GFI/ACP team provides accounts payable and travel and expenses services.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Within the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities. Since this is a generic post description staff may be rotated and assigned to perform other duties within GFI as determined by the Coordinator, Global Finance which includes ad hoc assignments, reinforcing other teams or replacing other staff members as required.
General duties and responsibilities (for all teams):
The National Professional Officer (Finance) will manage teams covering the following duties:
- Manage, brief, motivate, train and coach the team in the respective GFI unit.
- Ensure that service requests and other work requests are distributed to team members.
- Ensure that such requests are processed within the turn-around times specified in the Service Catalogue and within the relevant control environment.
- Ensure that all queries from staff or suppliers are processed within the turn-around times specified in the Service Catalogue.
- Prepare management reports on a periodic basis.
- Prepare and clean monthly reconciliations.
- Liaise closely with Internal and External Auditors, providing requested information and ensuring necessary changes are made when responding to recommendations.
- Periodically, review processes and standard operating procedures to ensure that procedures are up to date and any potential process improvements are identified.
- Identify system issues, notify IT Support teams accordingly and test subsequent system fixes.
- Make recommendations on process improvements and implemented authorized changes, including changes to system design and subsequent testing.
- Closely collaborate with colleagues in GFI, GSC, HQ, Regional Offices (ROs) and Country Offices (COs), valuing one GSC.
- Perform ad hoc assignments, special projects, and any other related duties when required.
The teams in GFI have team-specific duties over and above those described above:
- Invoice Processing-Booking Supplier invoices.
- Matching Supplier invoices with Purchase Orders/Receipts.
- Processing e-invoice files.
- Supplier statement reconciliations.
- Payments processing-Creating payment batches.
- Formatting payment batches into payment instruction templates.
- Uploading payment instructions to banking portals.
- Payroll processing.
- Ensure payroll processing follows the established schedule.
- Ensure all staff are paid in a timely manner.
- Transfer balances and costing information to HQ.
- Supervise the payments to third parties.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: University degree in accounting/financial management or an equivalent completed professional training in accounting with certification such as CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA or a related formal qualification.
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in accounting/financial management.
- Essential: At least 5 years of relevant experience in financial accounting, managing financial transaction processing and/or income management preferably within a large corporation or international organization. Demonstrated experience in finance and accounting management. Experience in using integrated financial management and reporting systems. Proven managerial and leadership skills and experience.
- Desirable: Experience in WHO with a good knowledge of the financial and administrative rules and processes. Experience in a Finance and HR Shared Services Centre.
Essential: Ability to analyse financial data and recommend appropriate actions. Mature judgement and ability to detect shortcomings and anomalies. Integrity, tact and discretion in dealing with others. Excellent all round communication skills. Very good knowledge of ERP systems. Demonstrated skill and proficiency in MS Office.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.