Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Purpose of the post:
- To ensure effective and transparent budget and financial support across the Region for all sources of funds in order to assure a seamless budgetary and financial process.
- The incumbent acts as the "port-of-entry" for related budgetary issues, provides guidance and advice on financial information to all budget centers to resolve problems and/or advise the Budget and Finance Officer
about possible solutions.
- He/she participates in revising and developing related guidelines and plans and organizes the work of regional income and awards management, project funding, HR work plan management.
- He/she supervises and trains staff, identifies priorities, allocates tasks, evaluates performance of staff and reviews closely work assignments.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
- Under the direct supervision of Budget and Finance Officer and general guidance of Regional Budget and Finance Officer the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Oversee the day-to-day functioning of BFU subunits including planning, organizing and supervising staff of Income Project Funding and Awards Management and HR Work plan Management to achieve consistent
and effective delivery of services.
- Promote and organize teamwork and a productive working environment that is inclusive, consultative and participatory.
- Scrutinize and ensure the quality of output of staff, identify errors and gaps, advise on corrective actions required to solve problems emerging during the BFU process and validate the compliance of all actions in
light of financial rules and procedures of the organization.
Budget Monitoring and Oversight/Support to Budget Center Managers:
- Serve as a focal point and provide timely and accurate customer support to all budget center managers.
- Maintaining an overview on budgetary and related financial issues, closely monitoring deadlines, obligations and gaps with special emphasis on specific discrepancies or problems and offering guidance to
funds check failures against PTAs and proactively preventing OLD issues.
- Reporting discrepancies to Budget Centre managers, identifying and reporting funding/budgeting problems, proposing solutions to ensure alignment and compliance with business rules and financial practices.
- Providing support to budget center managers on operational work plans, reporting and analysis of financial data to facilitate timely implementation of activities.
- Supervising the compliance of the budgetary activities with the RO objectives and ensuring timely implementation of these activities.
- Preparing progress statements on the budget implementation status, analyzing management financial reports and reviewing financial data to advise the Budget and Finance Officer on remedial steps and actions
and suggesting improvements.
- Overseeing timely transfer of program funds and award budgeting of Global Management System (GSM) work plans; monitoring distribution and amendments of awards, following up on cash receipts and unapplied
receivable balances, monitoring revisions of amounts vis-à-vis award distribution by SO/OWER and budget center, checking validity of awards, reporting deadlines and linkage of awards to projects and direct staff to
initiate action for expenditure batches.
- Monitoring and evaluating budget implementation, project documents, revisions, programme proposals, assessing possible budget and financial implications and ensuring compliance with financial rules,
regulations, procedures and policies.
Capacity Building and Training:
- Supporting capacity-building in related areas of work in both the Regional and country offices by identifying areas requiring attention and recommending improvements in work methods and processes.
- Undertaking outreach activities; conducting training and courses to improve work standards and quality of outputs of administrative staff and the Regional and country offices.
- Supporting the documentation of good practices and syntheses of lessons learned and ensuring that these are reflected in improved training approaches and supporting management tools.
- Participating in field missions, including provision of guidance to WRO and country office staff.
- Liaising and collaborating to ensure smooth flow of Budget and propose alternative methods and approaches to streamline and improve processes.
Advice on Policies and Procedures:
- Provide recommendations on financial policy, improvements in internal controls and guidelines and procedures for the Region, including evaluation, analysis and design of applications.
- Refer for action to financial rules and regulations, give appropriate explanations and suggest remedial or alternative action as appropriate; verify availability of funds and provide financial clearance on
- Advise and brief all staff on financial rules and procedures pertaining to budgetary process, allocation of funds, work plans, OSERS and OWERS and other financial matters.
- Essential: University degree in commerce, finance, business administration or related field.
- Desirable: Special training in automated accounting would be an advantage.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting principles, procedures, and practices. Ability to understand and apply administrative rules and procedures related to financial rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and ability to operate computerized word processor, spreadsheets and GSM.
- Essential: At least 5 years of supervisory experience in applying administrative and financial procedures through progressive work in finance, budgetary and accounting activities.
- Desirable: Knowledge of WHO procedures and processes is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic. Knowledge of French desirable.
- Only nationals of the country will be considered for this position.
- Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates.
- Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered.
- A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening. The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool.
- Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice (this could be the base for
- Interviews will include competency-based questions.