Employment for Youth in Egypt (EYE): providing a reason to stay project started in December 2017 for 36 months as a joint effort of ILO, UNIDO, UNDP, and its government counterpart Ministry of Trade and Industry. The project aims to improve economic security of young women and men in Qalyoubia and Menoufia, particularly targeting vulnerable groups who are at risk of irregular migration. The project will focus on two main pillars:
- Reduction of economic vulnerability of young women and men in migration-prone areas, in Qalyoubia and Menoufia, through better and greater decent jobs opportunities.
- Enhance local communities through the active participation and engagement of young women and men in their communities, and ensure youth better understand their potential and play active role in their society.
Description of Duties
The incumbent will perform his/her duties under the direct supervision of the DWT/Cairo Director:
- Lead the project timely implementation, monitoring and evaluation through management functions, including provision of technical and administrative supervision to the project team in line with the ILO policy, rules and regulations and according to the final project document and work plan.
- Identify problems, propose solutions and action and follow-up with relevant departments at headquarters and regional office, executing agencies, government offices, constituents and other organizations to expedite implementation and meet targets.
- Ensure the delivery of quality technical inputs, including qualitative and quantitative research in line with ILO core conventions on fundamental rights at work.
- Establish and develop knowledge management system covering technical activities under the project including other economic and social issues of relevance to the project.
- Develop and maintain strong links with ILO specialists within the ILO Decent Work Team , other colleagues in the field and HQ on specific technical areas requiring comprehensive and collaborative interventions.
- Prepare required technical progress reports and ad hoc reports on the status of project planning and implementation for submission to the ILO and the donor.
- Ensure high-level communications to increase project’s visibility at the national and international levels. This includes the responsibility to liaise with key stakeholders to ensure effective coordination with relevant national strategies and related technical projects.
- Lead the project management of the overall project and ensure effective coordination and synergies between UN project partners, while guaranteeing an effective and consolidated response in front of the donor and key stakeholders.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education: First level university degree in economics, social sciences, or related field and strong knowledge on development issues.
Experience: At least three years of experience in project management, supervision, administration and implementation of grant/cooperative agreement requirements (including meeting deadlines, achieving targets, and overseeing the preparation and submission of required reports to the project donor).
Technical requirements: Good knowledge of labour economics as well as economic developments, poverty reduction, and social policies. Knowledge of the policy making process.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of Arabic language.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with all project stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain systems within project operations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical co-operation projects of international organizations.
- Ability to understand and effectively work with Government, workers and employers organizations, non-government organizations and UN agencies.
- Ability to conduct action oriented research and write analytical technical report in English.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, to successfully advocate for and mobilize action to promote freedom of association and right to collective bargaining principles.
- Clear commitment to mainstream gender into project activities.
- Ability to lead and work in a team and good interpersonal relations.
- Ability to train and guide personnel.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in diversified environments.
- Proficient in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the Office.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.