FAO's office for Iraq is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under Iraq CPF 2018-2022.. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative Budget Holder (BH), the direct supervision of DFAOR and the International Project manager, the technical guidance of FAO HQ, the Project Manager (PM) will coordinate the Project Management Unit based in the Ministry of Health & Environment (MoH&E) and fulfils the role as Secretary to the Project Steering Committee. He/she will work in close collaboration will the FAO Country Office and all PMU staff, and be responsible for the overall planning, daily management, technical supervision and coordination of all project activities.
Natural resources management, agricultural science or engineering, environmental engineering, or any other related fields with extensive experience in project management and implementation of sustainable land management (SLM) practices.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Serve as the FAO’s point of contact with the project and project partners and be responsible for overall functioning and performance of the project;
- Support the team in ensuring that all technical and coordination aspects and overall project implementation is in accordance with FAO and GEF rules and procedures; that technical activities implemented within the project are consistent with the Project’s Results Framework indicators and results-based management targets;
- In coordination with the International Project manager, supervise human resources allocated to the PMU including: providing technical supervision/guidance in implementing project activities and day-to-day coordination and communication with the project executing partners;
- Act as the Secretary for all PSC meetings and activities, including preparation of documents and the reports;
- Prepare and participate in the project workshops, annual project progress review and planning workshops with local stakeholders and project executing partners to prepare the Annual Work Plans and Budgets in collaboration with the PMU;
- Support the preparation of the six-monthly Project Progress Reports (PPRs) in coordination with the PMU, reporting on the implementation of activities, and monitoring the achievement of project outcomes and output targets;
- Engage in the preparation of the report and support the Lead Technical Officer and the international project manager in preparation of the annual Project Implementation Review;
- Establish working relations with appropriate national and local institutions (Government and grass-roots organizations) to ensure effective implementation of project supported activities at national and local level;
- Coordinate, in consultation with the PM and GEF team, the design of the participatory project M&E system and exercise overall management responsibility of the regular monitoring and review of the execution of the activities including: (i) conduct regularly field M&E visits to project sites, which information will be included into the six-monthly PPRs; (ii) prepare monthly monitoring progress in achieving all project outputs and outcome indicators; (iii) provide technical and operational guidance to executing partners staff; (iv) propose changes in project implementation strategies if the project is not performing as planned; and (v) act on recommendations by supervision missions to improve on project implementation;
- Help the PM and the LTO prepare and review Terms of References (TORs) for consultancies and contracts to be performed under the Letter of Agreements (LoAs) with National Co-executing Partners for submission to FAO for clearance. Review and provide comments on technical products delivered by consultants and contract holders contracted by the GEF project;
- Participate to relevant coordination meetings and conferences;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced University degree in agriculture and environment or closely related subjects;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the area of sustainable land management, farmer field schools, climate smart agriculture, with public or private sector institutions and international organizations;
- Working knowledge of English. Limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages: Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Spanish and/or French. Knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.
- National of Iraq.
- Relevance and level of academic qualification in Agriculture and/or Environmental Sciences;
- At least 15 years’ experience in project implementation, of which 10 years as project manager and demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Project management skills, covering the whole project management cycle;
- Knowledge and experience of field programme/project formulation in wet lands, research on land degradation, and extension approaches on SLM (like FFS);
- Knowledge of GEF projects;
- Assessment and analytical skills - experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis and report writing;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and lead group work, including organizing international working meetings;
- Excellent communications skill, both orally and in writing, on technical materials for audiences at different levels of technical expertise;
- Ability to work under pressure and to carry out several tasks in a timely fashion and under tight deadlines with minimum supervision;
- Courtesy, tact and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.