UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The purpose of engaging the National Consultant on Public Finance is to provide technical support to strengthen institutional capacity to generate evidence on budget, prepare investment case to advocate Government’s investment up to 20 percent for children by 2020 as against current rate of 14, through ‘Strengthening Capacity of Child-Focused Budgeting Project’ being implemented by Finance Division.
Specific activities of the assignment will be as follows:
- Facilitate preparation of high-end technical document on ‘making investments case for children and young people’s agenda in Bangladesh’ by undertaking routine measurement of child-focused expenditure data in key thematic areas, identify resource gaps (including costing) and spending performance, and link them to child outcome data to harness government commitment to invest on children up to 20 percent by 2020.
- Prepare two analytical documents - public expenditure review (PER) and budget analysis of ministries/agencies working for Children age 0-17 years (reference period of data analysis is last 5 years).
- Create opportunities to dialogue with Ministries of Finance, Parliamentary budget committees and other influencers (civil society and development partners) to the share and use of evidence (key national surveys like MICS 2019, Effective coverage of social services) in the decision making.
- Contribute in the development of sector financing plans and modalities; support the design and costing of child-focused service packages and programs to facilitate earmarked revenue mobilization (e.g. health insurance, Agamir shishu pilots, nutrition CESS, etc.)
- Demonstrate engagements in the annual budget process to influence expenditure decisions and improve financial flows for effective service delivery for children by building capacities of stakeholders (UNICEF and Government) in budget approval and oversight.
- Based on Blooming Children, develop and Implement a in 15 participating Ministries and Action Plan for prioritizing investments in services to children. Consolidate and develop into a high-end technical document on ‘making investments case for children and young people’s agenda in Bangladesh’. Provided support to LTA organization as well.
- Availability of two analytical documents - public expenditure review (PER) and budget analysis of ministries/agencies working for Children age 0-17 years (reference period – 5 years)
- Participated in the annual budget process to influence expenditure decisions around children outcomes and contribute in the development of sector financing plans and modalities
- Facilitate capacity development of stakeholders (UNICEF and Government) on budgeting and oversites
- Organize two high-level meetings to dialogue with Finance Division officials and parliamentary budget committee to share evidences from field (MICS, ECBSS, MPI)
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Economics/Finance/Social Science/Statistics
- A minimum of Eight (8) of relevant professional experience in
- Familiarity with UNICEF programming and experience working within UNICEF field offices is preferred.
- Familiarity with Government budget management, fiscal laws/policies and experience working within government is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with sector financing issues is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Bangla are required (essential).
- Creative curiosity. You’re driven to ask the ‘why’ behind the initial responses you get.
- Wellversed or passionate about a discipline related to data – whether that’s data analysis, visualization, data science (essential)
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.