FAO Tajikistan office is responsible for leading FAO’s response to country priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities.
The consultancy assignments are located at the FAO country office in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
Interested consultants are invited to submit their applications on-line in order to establish their profiles in the FAO Tajikistan Roster database from which they may be considered for consultancy opportunities, which might arise. Inclusion in the database does not guarantee a contract with FAO units. Applications will be maintained in the database for a period of two years. The exact contractual arrangements pertaining to each consultancy will be determined as appropriate to the nature of that particular consultancy. These assignments do not carry any expectation of, or imply any right to, further extension, renewal or conversion to any other appointment.
The consultant reports to a Team Leader of the assignment.
- The Technical Focus
- Food Safety
- Food Security
- Laboratory assessment (food and veterinary sector)
- Risk assessment and risk management in the fields of food safety, animal and plant health
- Policy and Institutional Development in food and agriculture sectors
- Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
- Legal reform in food and agriculture sectors
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Analyse situations, systems and policy contexts of national systems and supporting institutional analysis and reform,
- Formulate policies and strategies, contributing to evaluations of legal frameworks, contributing to drafting laws and standards,
- Prepare and implementing training courses or workshops and providing specific technical advice,
- Design capacity development interventions, including project formulation, project management, reporting and monitoring frameworks in line with FAO requirements,
- Design and conducting research, data collection and analysis, and prepare technical reports/publications,
- Develop training materials and curricula, including for academic use and on the job professional learning,
- Empower the rural poor and their organizations, and particularly youth, women and vulnerable groups, to access productive resources, services, markets, productive employment and decent work opportunities, social protection systems
- Formulate and build capacities to implement regional and international standards, agreements and voluntary guidelines and legal, policy and institutional systems and frameworks
- Provide technical backstopping to field projects
- Strengthen country preparedness and response at all levels perform any other duties as required
- Advanced university degree in food technology, public health, veterinary medicine, medicine, biotechnology, chemistry, (Master or equivalent) or related field.;
- Working knowledge of English, Russian and working knowledge of Tajik is advantage;
- Nationals of Tajikistan;
- Minimum 2 years of experience relevant to the above-mentioned fields.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in the field is desirable
- Extent and relevance of field experience in a technical area of assignment (see tasks and responsibilities)
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing policy advice at local, national, and regional levels
- Extent and relevance of knowledge in the implementation of international instruments related to pertinent field of expertise
- Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation and implementation of projects, programmes, project management and studies in the pertinent field of expertise
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations, regional entities and national governments
- Ability to support resource mobilization efforts
- Ability to organize and conduct technical meetings, conferences and workshops when applicable
- Limited knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Experience in relevant technical specializations;
- Demonstrated analytical and technical skills;
- Computer literacy (word processor and spreadsheets).