The Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment (OCB) promotes integration of innovative approaches in the activities of the Organization, for the sustainable use, management and conservation of natural resources for food and agriculture. OCB assists member countries in their responses towards the challenge of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as the development of adaptive capacities of agriculture, fisheries and forestry for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and other natural resources. It provides a coordination role on climate change, biodiversity and the environment. The Office also serves as the focal point for a multidisciplinary and global approach to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), CBD and topics on bioenergy as well as undertaking work and providing support and guidance on assessment, management and tenure issues.
The Natural Resources Officer reports to the Environment Workstream Leader at OCB.
Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Environmental and Social Risk Management, Environmental/Social Sustainability.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
- Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in Organization-wide, cross-divisional committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Supports the implementation of the FAO environmental and social safeguards policy and procedures, as well as stakeholder engagement, disclosure and grievance handling in projects and programmes;
- Provides technical advice to project implementation teams to ensure compliance with FAO's environmental and social safeguards policies and procedures;
- Prepares appropriate safeguards instruments in accordance with FAO and donor requirements, such as environmental and social management frameworks, plans and actions to address identified environmental and social risks during project formulation and implementation;
- Reviews environmental and social frameworks, plans and instruments, stakeholder engagement plans, among others;
- Participates in project preparation and supervision missions, as needed, and provides relevant inputs on environment and social safeguards, including supporting preparation of terms of reference for environment and social impact assessments and necessary environment and social safeguard planning documents;
- Reviews progress/monitoring reports on environment and social safeguards for ongoing projects;
- Reviews documentation to be included in FAO's disclosure portal;
- Supports the communication, knowledge management, training, and capacity building aimed at FAO staff at headquarters, regional, subregional and national levels;
- Contributes to the further development, refinement and implementation of FAO environmental and social safeguards;
- Supports advocacy efforts including the development of a framework for measuring results, with particular emphasis on environmental and social standards for food security and nutrition;
- Contributes to integration of environmental and social standards in programming into FAO's operational policies and processes and country programming frameworks and One UN Reform;
- Contributes to external processes for harmonization, guidance and standard setting for safeguards, for example of specific funding agencies or among UN agencies;
- Represents the Organization at external and interagency meetings as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in natural resources, social sciences, agriculture or a related sustainable development field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in natural resources management and environmental and social risk assessment or other related fields with emphasis on environmental and social safeguards in programs, projects and operations;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).