Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Sweden is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are now looking for a Nordic Baltic Network (NBN) Projects and Policy Officer.
This position helps to deliver joined up project activity and coordinated political engagement across the eight Nordic and Baltic Posts. Our project and policy work across the NBN helps to build on the links that bind our Governments and people across the region to foster strong Government to Government, and people to people links.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the Deputy Director to design, monitor, and coordinate projects across the network. Associated external engagement to identify and secure collaboration with experts and other contacts (20%);
- Work with DHMs, Prosperity, Climate and Political Officers across the network to identify areas of work that can be done regionally. Deliver that work, in partnership with the Deputy Director. Help manage the regular NBN regional interaction through meetings in person and virtually. (20%);
- Lead on creating the NBN regional learning and development offer. (20%)
- Lead on internal communications across the NBN, developing innovative communication products which inform and create a sense of community. (20%)
- Investigate and report on regional political and economic issues. Engage Whitehall stakeholders so as to assess areas of interest, and encourage more joint working with regional counterparts (20%).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluent English and excellent communication skills;
- Strong networking and influencing skills, ability to liaise with stakeholders at all levels;
- Intermediate skills of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to grasp complex issues quickly and communicate these simply and effectively;
- Good research and analysis skills;
- Experience of project work and delivering events.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of government, embassy or NGO work;
- Policy (academic or practitioner) background in one or more of the areas specified in the job description;
- Proficiency in Swedish or any of the languages of the other seven Nordic and Baltic countries would be useful, but is not essential.