IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) is one of IFC’s key strategic priorities and the department engages in a wide range of sectors including agribusiness & forestry, chemicals & fertilizers, construction materials, health & education, machinery, manufacturing, tourism, retail, and property. The Department also seeks to maintain IFC, as part of the World Bank Group, at the cutting-edge of helping clients find solutions to new and emerging MAS issues.
IFC is seeking a New Business Manager for its Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) operations in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The position is based in Cairo, Egypt or Amman, Jordan.
The New Business Manager will be responsible for supporting business development and leading transaction processing for MAS in the region. She/he will work closely with the management and colleagues from MAS. She/he will also coordinate on a continuous basis with the Country Managers, the Middle East and Africa (MEA) MAS Leadership team, as well as other relevant Departments/Divisions within IFC, such as Special Operations (CSO), Treasury, Legal, the Equity Desk, etc. She/he will have direct supervisory responsibility over the investment staff and analysts, and other staff as determined. The New Business Manager will report to the Regional Industry Director, MAS Middle East and Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Lead and manage the MAS team in the region and ensure the team is high-performing, well-motivated and committed to the success of IFC;
- Support the regional/country teams and global MAS teams in business development in the region;
- Manage selected MAS client relationships and ensure high level of client satisfaction;
- Develop the strategy for IFC’s MAS business in the region, in partnership with the regional and industry management and relevant World Bank Group colleagues, including key business targets for the MAS sector’s regional investment program, with a focus on high impact projects;
- Execute and manage a pipeline of investments in the MAS sector across the region to meet IFC’s impact and profitability targets and support origination of the pipeline;
- Assume transaction manager role and provide credit and investment guidance to teams as well as quality control and credit on teams’ output;
- Work closely with the MAS portfolio manager to ensure a sound portfolio including generation of repeat business;
- Foster relationships with World Bank Group counterparts to identify collaboration opportunities and to enhance business delivery at the country level in line with the Cascade approach;
- Mentor and develop MAS staff in the region;
- Develop IFC’s brand in the region, building on IFC’s global brand and the overall communications strategy;
- Staff new projects with the appropriate teams from the regional and global MAS resources with the view to deploy best technical expertise and provide best possible client service, while keeping in mind career and training development needs of IFC investment staff;
- Be part of and actively contribute to the MEA Leadership Team as well as the Global MAS Management Team.
- MBA or equivalent professional qualification and a minimum of 15 years relevant work experience (at least 2 of which must have been in a managerial or leading capacity);
- Familiarity with several sectors related agribusiness & forestry, chemicals & fertilizers, construction materials, health & education, machinery, manufacturing, tourism, retail, and property;
- Experience sourcing and structuring complex investment transactions in the MAS sector with a proven track record and proven success in developing client relationships and processing quality investments;
- Awareness of environmental and social sustainability issues usually associated with projects in MAS;
- Strong sense of service to clients and demonstrated business development aptitude. Proven success in developing client relationships and executing quality investments;
- Ability to deliver high quality work within deadlines to meet team objectives;
- Good “deal sense” based on demonstrated strong analytical skills and sound business judgment;
- Ability to develop innovative solutions and challenges the status quo in order to build the business;
- Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback; new ideas and ability to guide staff to solutions to problems;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work in the matrix as an integral part of the Regional Industry Department;
- Ability to collaborate closely with other parts of the World Bank Group and other MFIs and financing institutions and banks;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong team work and communications in a highly diverse, virtual environment;
- Ability to plan and manage staff to achieve high quality results and encourage innovation in an open team-based environment, inspiring trust and influencing and resolving differences across organizational boundaries;
- Meet Bank Group-wide managerial selection criteria including courage of your convictions, leading the team for impact, influencing across boundaries, fostering openness to new ideas, building talent for the future.