UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
How can you make a difference?
The nutrition specialist reports to senior emergency coordinator (P5) in UNICEF Gaziantep office, for guidance and general supervision. The specialist will coordinate and collaborate with WOS nutrition specialists in the WOS to ensure harmonized and efficient response for the overall sector and UNICEF programme .The specialist technically leads the Gaziantep based nutrition cluster and guides the nutrition programme implementation as well as contributing to knowledge management/innovation and developing preparing nutrition programs/projects. The facilitates timely and effective nutrition response in North Syria and ensure capacity strengthening of local institutions and nutrition actors. The specialist provides authoritative technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results in maternal, infant and young child feeding programs/projects according to the plans, allocation, results based management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF’s Strategic plans, standards of performance and accountability frame work.
Key function, accountability and related duties/tasks
Management and/or advisory support to the Senior Emergency Coordinator and cluster
- Provide advice to the senior emergency coordinator in Gaziantep office in establishing the annual work plan including developing strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements. Coordinate work progress monitoring and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards and report to the Head of Office critical issues for timely action.
- Provide technical assistance/advice to colleagues in the nutrition section and cluster on all aspects of programming and implementation to enable colleagues to achieve program/performance objectives .
- Provide strategic and operational recommendations to the WOS nutrition specialists for the overall Nutrition response from the hub level perspective
Program development and planning in coordination with WOS
- Plan and/or provide technical support/guidance to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the nutrition sector/s to ensure timely comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition are available to guide policy and development, design and management of nutrition programs/projects. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic program discussion on the planning of nutrition programs/projects. Formulate, design and prepare nutrition section’s programs/projects proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plan and Country Program and coherence/integration with Syria Strategic Response Plan (SRP), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies and implementation plans for the sector/s based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for program review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide authoritative technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievements of results as planned and allocated.
- Actively contribute to the Syria HRP development and implementation through specific projects drafting and review.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF and cluster indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector/s in nutrition programs.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with cluster stakeholders/counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action /interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timey intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits where ever possible , surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Plan, monitor and certify and control the optimum/appropriate use of the program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare mandated and key program/project reports for donors and other partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Advisory services and technical support
- Provide advice to key authority stakeholders, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on policies, strategies and best practices and approaches on nutrition and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results
- Participate in program strategic discussions/planning to provide technical advice/contribute to policy discussions and agenda settings to promote health/nutrition interventions especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness and maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition
- Prepare policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building as well as other coordination duties.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnership with nutrition and health sectors as well as cluster, local authorities, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and/or promote cooperation and alliances to achieve program goals on maternal/children rights and social justice equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials to highlight program goals, achievements and/or needs to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programs (maternal, newborn, and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represents UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and plaining on health and nutrition related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in SRP process in development planning agenda setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in strategic planning and preparation of nutrition programs/projects.
- Lead the cluster in setting priorities, and guiding partners in developing projects
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Promote critical thinking and innovate approaches and good practices for sustainable health programs/project initiatives through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark an implement best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize, plan and/or implement capacity building initiative to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health/nutrition related programs/projects.
Qualification of Successful Candidate
Education:An Advanced University Degree in nutrition, nutritional epidemiology, public health, global/international health and nutrition, health/nutrition research, policy and/or management, or other health related science field is required.
Work Experience:A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, newborn and child nutrition health care at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset. Experience in cluster/sector coordination in complex emergency essential.
Language Proficiency:Fluency in English is required. Arabic is a very strong asset and highly desirable. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.