About the Organization:
World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world.
Position: Occupational Health Analyst (Health and Safety)
Scope and Complexity:
Acts within the HSD regional hub functional unit in day-to-day performance of the position's functions including;
- Implementing the WBG overarching directives, procedures and guidelines for the WBG OH&S Management System.
- Assisting in establishing the accountability structure and framework for WBG OH&S Management System.
- Empowering staff engagement and involvement to foster ownership and accountability on OH&S issues throughout WBG CO locations with emphasis on Africa Region but not limited to supporting other regions as needed.
- Maintaining WBG management commitment and involvement in OH&S including the creation of a culture of OH&S across the AFR Region.
- Assisting in the design and implementation of a global hazard communications program across WBG.
- Assisting with Preparation, design and implementation of major OH&S work programs to reduce the likelihood of accident and injuries across the WBG staff through hazard identification, analysis and control.
- Assisting with Coordinating global OH&S initiatives, assessments and programs across the WBG.
- Providing technical briefings and content relevant to the ARF Region to the WBG OH&S committee and senior management on OH&S policy implementation, progress and accountability.
- Providing key technical assistance to WBG Emergency and Country Office Crisis Management Teams on assessment, emergency preparedness and response.
- Coordinating and interacting with United Nations (UN) System on OH&S programmatic elements.
- Making decisions, on potentially complex issues with updates to supervisor and team lead as necessary.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The incumbent is part of the HSD Regional Hub with a direct technical reporting line to the OHS Senior Specialist and administratively to the Regional Hub Task Team Leader (TTL) for delivery of occupational and environmental health and safety services within the agreed work program for the regional hub and HQ:
- Coordinate OH&S support to staff.
- Undertake OH&S environmental evaluations including workplace assessments on hazard identification and risk prevention mitigation measures in accordance with H&S hierarchy of control.
- Assist in the design and implementation of OH&S training platforms and programs including stratification of training to staff, managers and OH&S focal points in the processes of OH&S risk assessment and management processes.
- Assist in the design to establish behavior-based safety systems for risk and injury reduction.
Document and Data Management:
Assist in the design and contribute to an overarching OH&S data management system inclusive of incident accident reporting, incident accident investigation and actions and workflow processes for notification and tracking.
- Work to benchmarked standards on OH&S risks in compliance with Local and Regional National / International Guidelines and recognized authorities or standards (ACGIH, OSHA, ASHRAE, EU-OSHA, CDC, HSE).
- Implement OH&S strategies for risk and health hazards, inclusive of workplace and environmental hazard.
- Coordinate onsite health and safety evaluations within WBG including occupational and industrial hygiene strategy and assessments in consultation with Seniors Specialists and supervisors.
- Facilitate the operationalization of Health and Safety instruments across WBG locations.
Record and record management:
Assist in the design of a system to function as a repository for accident, incident, investigations, assessment reports corrective and preventative actions including as required noncompliance actions and follow-up where applicable.
Audit and continuous improvement:
Assist in the design and establishment of behavior-based safety systems to enhance audit and continuous improvement for risk and injury reduction.
- Responds organization wide to OH&S requests within a defined service time interval.
- Provides support and technical advice to clients requesting OH&S services.
- Reviews, develops and updates standard operating procedures.
- Implements and guides users on the Incident Accident Reporting System.
- A University level degree or equivalent in the disciplines of occupational / environmental / Health and safety. Familiarity and training in industrial hygiene and workplace experience with monitoring and detection programs and equipment from an accredited school, university, institute or college.
- In the absence of the above, equivalent professional credentials combined with relevant education and experience can be taken into consideration.
- 5 or more years relevant work experience including global OH&S implementation experience.
- Valid professional health and safety affiliation, membership or registration and or a license to practice.
- This will be a local hire however regional international experience and cultural understanding, as well as previous work with international populations to understand global variations in health and safety environments and health approaches would be advantageous.
- Analytical understanding of OH&S management and track record of proactive involvement to promote safety and health in a global environment.
- Knowledge of data analysis, biostatistics and epidemiology would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and ability to counsel staff on OH&S issues in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Discretion and tact in dealing with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Thorough knowledge and use of computer office technology such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and other major OHS/EHS Software management systems.
- Proven skills in organizing, prioritizing, scheduling, planning and coordinating work.
- Demonstrated oral, written communication skills (ability to convey ideas simply and in an engaging style).
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with team members and partners in global locations and leveraging support of Country Management Teams to support health goals of field-based staff.
- Ability to undertake mission related international travel.