The Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (RLC) contributes to the eradication of hunger, food insecurity, malnutrition and extreme poverty by providing advice and technical assistance to member countries.
The position is based at the FAO representation in Haiti, which reports to the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (RLC).
The office assistant coordinates and performs all office support, management support, as well as administrative tasks contributing to the proper functioning of the office. He or she ensures the quality and consistency of the administrative and information workflow within the work unit.
Supervision Received / Exercised
The office assistant reports to senior professional staff / managers and may receive guidance from a higher grade assistant administrative officer. The incumbent acts in complete independence, decides on work priorities and shows initiative in dealing with unprecedented files. The supervision he or she is subject to focuses on the quality of the work performed. He or she provides guidance and advice to other administrative support staff.
The office assistant works closely with a range of colleagues within the division / region, with central units and clients external to the Organization. He or she provides and coordinates administrative support services and provides guidance and information on procedures.
Key Functions / Results
- Review and sort appointment requests with the supervisor; maintain the supervisor's schedule; confirm schedules that are convenient for both parties and organize appointments; welcome visitors; filter and redirect phone calls; respond to queries and correspondence, often of a sensitive, confidential or technical nature;
- Coordinate office support services during meetings, trainings, seminars, committees, special projects and events; attend meetings, draw up reports, control the monitoring of activities; make arrangements to provide editing, translation, etc. services. documents and publications;
- Review, archive, distribute and process incoming emails and correspondence; follow pending actions; draft responses to a wide variety of correspondence and other communications often requiring knowledge of technical terminologies and / or detailed administrative procedures; perform quality control functions for outgoing documents; proofread texts, paying attention to their format, grammar, punctuation and style;
- Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks, such as contract extensions and requests for temporary staff, recording leave and attendance, preparing and monitoring budgets; coordinate with other administrative units to ensure the smooth running and speed of work within the unit;
- Research, collate and organize contextual information content and reference material from various sources to develop reports, briefings and speeches; create various statistical and other reports from different databases;
- Coordinate the work of other administrative support staff, establish priorities and ensure a fair distribution of work; train new staff in relevant administrative procedures and practices and provide general assistance as needed;
- Create and maintain the work unit's filing and referencing systems; assess the effectiveness of administrative methods and make recommendations for their improvement; update the Bureau's websites;
Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
- The work of the incumbent has a direct impact on the smooth running of the Office. He or she plays a leading role in providing the administrative support services that enable the Office to fulfill its mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Upper secondary education
Experience: Four years of significant experience in administrative and managerial support work
Languages: Four years of significant experience in administrative and managerial support work
IT Skills: Very good knowledge of MS Office applications, the Internet and office equipment.