The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The Technology Division (TEC) of the World Food Programme (WFP) is leading the enterprise-wide deployment of an operational decision-making platform called DOTS which is powered by the Palantir Foundry solution. DOTS is at the center of TEC’s data ecosystem integrating data from multiple data sources, transforming data to create a dynamic ontology representing WFP’s operational model and surfacing business insights to support decision-making.
The Operational Data Analyst (or DOTS Workflow Owner as known within the DOTS team) works with WFP business counterparts and end-users to design, implement and deliver end-to-end solutions on DOTS addressing core business questions and outcomes. Using rapid iteration cycles and eliciting constant feedback from end-users, decision-makers, project focal points and fellow team members, the incumbent is expected to push boundaries, challenge the as-is and relish the opportunity to explore problems and find resolutions.
Combining knowledge of data analytics, data governance, project management, and excellent communication skills, the Operational Data Analyst will be equally comfortable discussing technical issues with developers and presenting DOTS demonstrations to a wider audience.
Reporting to the Head, Data and Analytics branch in the TEC Division, the Workflow Owner will work closely with DOTS team members and TEC Business Engagement Managers to own the end-to-end process of designing, implementing and presenting data in ways that help end-users and assist in the continuous improvement of DOTS.
- Act as Agile product owner.
- Analyse the business problem - the functional and the non-functional requirements and be comfortable arguing for the optimal end solution in case the proposed requirements do not align with the underlying solution to the problem.
- Understand the data domain, the data catalogue definitions (if any) and the data flows.
- Accountable and responsible for the end-to-end process of creating, implementing, and rolling out workflows on DOTS: o Explore requirements, impact analysis and alternative solutions and mutually agree on them with the business.
- Document and classify requirements and decisions.
- Work with the team and business to model the solution to the business problem in the DOTS platform. You will function as the platform expert, and throughout user interviews also as the end to end process expert, owning the overall workflow architecture and implementation scope. Define and detail the information model, the user interface model (which DOTS platform tools to use), the use cases, the integration model, and the reporting model.
- Work hands-on in the platform to build out the end-to-end workflows together with the developers on the team. Although no previous programming skills are required (but can be useful) for this role, an ideal candidate will have high technical aptitude and be comfortable picking up technical tasks and implement them in the platform.
- Provide suggested insights into what the business users can use the platform for to derive analytical insights, given your know-how of the business problems (post user interviews) as well as the platform.
- Based on Workflow design, provide resourcing estimates. Update resource estimates in case more resources are needed or if resources are under-utilized.
- Interact with the development and platform governance teams to discuss and clarify specifications. Interact with Platform engagement to identify success metrics.
- Conduct high level testing that functionality works (iterative process) as required prior to handing over for formal testing with business owners and end-users.
- Together with business owners, work to induce the Change Management needed to roll out the end to end workflow. You will be the spark that ignites change and ensures that the end users that will benefit from the solutions you and your team develop.
- Maintain communication with stakeholders and ensure buy-in at each stage of the project.
- With the developers on the team, ensure workflows can progress from active implementation status to steady-state post-roll out.
- Take end-user feedback to continuously improve workflows.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- University degree in human centred design, information technology management, data analytics/management, computer science, business administration or other relevant disciplines.
- 4+ years of relevant and progressively more responsible human centred design and/or business analysis work with experience on 3+ relevant projects using agile development methodologies.
- 1+ year direct experience working on a project with data visualization and/or data analysis outputs.
- Desirable: 1+ year Experience working with Palantir Foundry and knowledge of WFP business processes.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Rich experience and proven skills in working towards a common goal in a team of diverse skills, experience and cultural backgrounds, with heavy emphasis towards business and non-technical team members and stakeholders outside the team.
- High problem-solving skills and willingness to develop any technical skills needed, if any.
- Proven ability to analyse business processes, uncovering, shaping, and documenting business needs and requirements that are aligned with business strategies.
- Experience working with data analysis, or otherwise proven record of high technical aptitude and ability to work in highly technical and analytical environments.
- Experience solving analytical problems (doesn’t need to be with code)
- Experience and skills to effectively engage with the business to design the end-to-end process diagrams, user stories, and to document items for workflows.
- Experience and skills to effectively walk business teams through potential end-to-end workflows,
- Experience with geographically distributed teams where the focus on team- work and achieving deliverables require very strong communication skills – both written and verbal – to ensure team members are aligned on the final deliverables and processes to achieve high quality results.
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies and experience in project planning
- Desirable: Experience with data pipeline design and implementation.
- Desirable: Basic knowledge of any programming language (Python preferable)
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.