The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India and former President of France on 30 November 2015 at Paris during UNFCCC CoP-21, in the presence of the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon. It aims at deployment of over 1000 GW of solar energy and mobilizing more than US $1000 billion into solar energy by the year 2030.
In 2016, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and ISA declared their intention to promote solar energy globally through a Joint Declaration. Under the ongoing partnership, UNDP has provided support to ISA in developing a roadmap and prepared five-year vision document for ISA to identify and address its priorities. A UN Mission comprising international experts, led by UNDP, was also organized in March 2019 to identify areas of support to ISA in programme and operations for operationalizing of ISA.
UNDP through a programme partnership intends to provide support to ISA to strengthen its institutional capacity in areas identified by the joint UN Mission and critical to its full operationalization. The purpose of this partnership is to support implementation of the most immediate priorities to accelerate operationalization of the ISA mandate for review at the 3rd Assembly in October 2020.
Considering the fact that ISA is now registered with United Nations under article 102 of UN charter, ISA would need to adopt policies and procedures as followed by other UN agencies. To build the capacity of the staff in this regard, a senior staff will be required with good understanding of UN processes for executing activities as per UN standards.
UNDP India intends to recruit an Operations Advisor (P5) to support ISA and the UNDP country office on programme implementation and providing advisory services on procurement, finance, human resources, and serving as a Point of Contact for delivery of activities under the UNDP-ISA Partnership.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations Advisor will work under the matrixed reporting arrangement reporting to the Director General of International Solar Alliance (ISA) and UNDP India Resident Representative, working closely with other staff in Administration Division of the Operations Division at the ISA Secretariat for fully operationalizing and managing the following support services; financial management; human resource management; procurement of good and services and ICT management.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementing ISA Regulation, Rules and Procedures for recruitment of human resources, financial management, procurement and general administration as necessary to achieve the Support Services’ objectives
- Administrative budget resources management;
- Human Resources Management and supervision of the HR team;
- Efficient procurement and logistical services;
- Information technology management and supervision of ICT team.
- Providing strategic, policy and budgetary advice to Senior Management on all matters within the Division’s remit; and
- Promoting knowledge sharing and learning, active participation and building the capacity.
Lead the implementation of ISA Staff Regulations, Rules and Procedures for managing the ISA secretariat’s human resources related matters such as:
- Provide advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules. Review and provide advice on exceptions to policies, regulation and rules;
- Provide advice and support to Senior Management on human resources related matters;
- Assess workforce requirements, map available competencies and skills, and identifies capacity gaps;
- Prepare classification analysis of jobs in Professional and General Service and related categories.
Implementation of end-to-end recruitment processes which includes initiating the hiring process, recruitment planning, advising managers in the preparation of Job Openings and reviewing recommendations on the selection of candidates by ISA secretariat hiring managers. This includes:
- Preparation of vacancy announcements, review of applications, and preparation of a short-list of candidates;
- Arrangement and conduct of interviews to select candidates;
- Provide recommendation on the selection of candidate by the ISA secretariat;
- Supervise and monitor the work of the Human Resources Assistants in carrying out all human resources administrative transactions including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing tables, and processing of contracts;
- Administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements;
- Determine and recommend benefits and entitlements for staff on the basis of contractual status;
- Review policies and procedures and recommends changes as required;
- Review and recommend level of remuneration for consultants;
- Identify and analyze staff development and career support needs and designs programmes to meet identified needs;
- Advise and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements;
Lead the implementation of ISA’s Financial Regulations and Procedures and manage the ISA secretariat’s financial resources related matters such as:
- Provide advice on interpretation and application of ISA financial policies, regulations and rules. Review and provide advice on exceptions to policies, regulation and rules;
- Review of project documents and budgets and ensuring compliance with ISA’s Financial regulations, policies and procedures.
- Advise Senior Management with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Finalization ISA secretariat administrative and programme budget;
- Monitoring budget implementation and determines/recommends reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Overseeing the implementation of ERP system for to preparation and monitoring of budget plans and financial transactions.
- Overseeing up-to-date preparation of documents/reports/guidelines and liaises with the Programme teams.
- Overseeing the external financial audits of the ISA.
- Act as a certifying officer to approve the reports submitted by implementing partner and external partners.
- Monitoring and supervision the work of subordinate staff as required.
Procurement and Logistical Services Management:
Lead the implementation of ISA’s Regulations and Procedures and manage the ISA secretariat’s procurement related matters such as:
- Provide advice on interpretation and application of ISA procurement policies and procedures. Review and provide advice on exceptions to policies and procedures;
- Prepare and implement systems for planning and managing procurement of all goods and services for the ISA secretariat, including for projects implemented on behalf of donors, ensuring good value for money;
- Prepare and implement systems and templates for negotiating and concluding contracts for goods and services procured by the ISA secretariat; supervision of the management of contracts; monitoring and reviewing performance of vendors; authorizing amendments to and extensions of contracts;
- Prepare recommendations to Procurement Committee and for the Director General on Contracts for high-value contracts;
- Compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the management of the procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Proper management of ISA assets, facilities and logistical services.
- Provide advice and support to senior management and requisitioning officers on procurement policies and procedures;
Ensures forward-looking information technology management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries;
- Use of ERP for improved business results and improved client services;
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) from a reputed university in human resources management, finance, business or public administration, social sciences, public Administration education or related area.
- A first-level university degree with additional 2 Years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Desirable: Other specialized certificates or trainings in management support functions.
- Certifications in HR, procurement and supply chain or equivalent.
- Testimonials/Awards/ Publications etc.
Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the Organization’s mandate and vision.
- Ability to negotiate and influence effectively to build consensus and achieve objectives.
- Ability to provide guidance and explain complex issues and positions to a variety of audiences.
- Proven analytical and organizational skills with the ability to focus on outcomes and thorough implementation of activities.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the management of support functions relevant for this position, of which at least seven (7) years at supervisory or managerial level in a UN agency or Multilateral Agency is required.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration or related area is required. Experience in administration of staff entitlements and benefits in the United Nations system is required.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable. Experience with on-boarding Human Resources (HR) platforms is desirable. Experience supporting recruitment strategies or processes is desirable. Responsible experience in budget, finance, administration, business administration or related area is required.
- Experience in managing or supervising large multi-disciplinary teams in an organization with a large workforce.
- Experience in managing several support service functions.
- Experience in contract management.
- Experience within the United Nations common system.
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of English is a must and working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.