Objectives of the Programme:
The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (WHE) is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies. Within WHE, the Health Security programme, contributes to strengthening Turkey’s health security through integrated preparedness and response to epidemic threats of all origins in line with international standards, as well as improving capacities for threat detection, outbreak identification, management, communication including communicable disease case diagnosis, reporting and epidemic intelligence in line with the needs of Early Warning and Response System (EWRS).
Description of Duties:
Under the direct supervision of the WHO Representative/Head of Country Office (WR) in Turkey, as the first level supervisor, and the overall guidance of the Director, DEC as the second level supervisor, the incumbent will coordinate and oversee the development, planning, management, adaptation and monitoring of strategies and work plans and the timely and successful implementation of the Health Security Project, in alignment with the CFCU direct grant agreement and in compliance with the WHO procedures. Ensure the concerted approach of WHO in providing the required expert advice and support to the national authorities in the areas of Health Security, risk assessments, early warning response systems (EWRS), Field Epidemiology Training activities and the efficient performance of microbiology laboratories in support of the EWRS.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Lead the development, planning, implementation, adaptation and monitoring of strategies, operational and detailed task-based work plans to achieve the Project's Description of Action (DOA’s) expected results, in alignment with the CFCU direct grant agreement.
- Conduct needs assessment and analysis of project activities (financial, human resources, assets, etc.); coordinate the mobilization of the required resources to ensure that health threats are being detected, verified, and responded to in a timely, complete and accurate manner.
- Monitor the implementation of the project and related grants according to established key performance indicators, ensuring that expenditure and reporting are in compliance with WHO rules and donor agreement. Analyze risks and implement mitigation measures.
- Develop strategic partnership with the MoH and other partners, advocate the dialogue on policies and best practices in health security, in consultation with the Regional Office; ensure that the required national procedures, skills, coordination mechanisms and health systems are strengthened to manage identified risks.
- Establish and manage the task force for the coordination of project activities and related committees (Steering Committees, Advisory Committee etc.).
- Contribute to strengthening the national capability to prepare and respond to health emergencies from all hazards. Oversee the workforce capacity building and training activities at central and provincial level.
- Implement, in cooperation with the Contracting Authority and MoH, visibility activities related to the project; authorize the release of related information, communications, advocacy products and statements to internal and external partners.
- Design standardized methods of capturing and consolidating evidence based health interventions, document lessons learnt, best practices and trend analyses for promoting accountability, responsiveness and transparency.
- Represent WHO in high level meetings with donors and partners. Prepare related technical documents, concept papers, presentations, situation analysis and develop periodic progress reports.
- Perform other duties as required by the WR.
- Essential: Advanced university degree in medicine, public health, epidemiology or communicable diseases from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Specialized training in outbreak management and/or Early Warning and Response System.
- Essential: At least 10 years of related experience, at the national and international levels, in the field of health security, multi-sectorial coordination and strengthening country capacities. Experience in project management and coordinating operational activities in preparedness and response to epidemic threats, with a range of actors
- Desirable: Relevant work experience with in nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations, international organizations (United Nations System, donors, major non-governmental organizations) and European Union-funded projects
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent skills in the assessment, monitoring, analysis and evaluation of emergency situations, with the ability to conceptualize and implement innovative strategies and advocate their implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage difficult situations, to lead and direct multidisciplinary and multinational staff.
- Strong strategic thinking, with the ability to quickly comprehend strategic and tactical objectives and to formulate comprehensive plans to address challenges/risks.
- Strong operational competencies in managing and coordinating humanitarian program cycle, including efficient human and financial resource management.