Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 3 years
Role Purpose:The Operations Director
- Will lead operations support aimed at ensuring that Save the Children implements quality programme operations and meets its mandate of humanitarian and development programming in all Asia countries.
- Is responsible for supporting operational and humanitarian aspects of Country Offices programming and ensuring adequate systems (including logistics / supply chain and award management) are in place to enable and facilitate quality program delivery in the field.
- Is responsible for oversight of regional projects and programs, and selected country-level operations (currently focused on DPRK only).
- Will ensure that high quality support is given to COs, Regional Office and member staff in order to optimise the operational delivery of humanitarian and development programs in the Asia region.
- Is a key member of the regional leadership team, and will take shared responsibility and accountability for delivering Save the Children's strategy within the region.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and Experience:
Significant (ten years or more) senior level leadership and management experience in a large and complex international NGO or organization
- Significant experience in managing most or all of the key elements of humanitarian and development operations: proposal development, planning, quality assurance, award management, logistics, emergency response, preparedness and capacity building.
- Post-graduate qualifications or equivalent experience in international development, humanitarian actions, risk reduction / resilience, leadership / management, or a related discipline.
- Substantial knowledge of international development systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices.
- Robust experience in developing and implementing organisational vision and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Solid project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results.
- Excellent dispute resolution, facilitation and team building skills.
- Experience of building personal networks at senior levels, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation.
- Models international development best practices, and the leadership behaviours outlined in Save the Children's strategy.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major responses including travelling at short notice.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- The highest level of expertise in representation and negotiation with governments/donors and international agencies.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.