Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
OPERATIONS MANAGER FOR MARTISSANT AND BAILLERGEAU
In the framework of the reconstruction Port-au-Prince, a city severely affected by the earthquake of January 12, 2010, the Comité Interministériel d’Aménagement du Territoire (CIAT) [Interministerial Committee of Land Management] has recommended the on site urban renovation of the destroyed neighborhoods. The scale of the neighborhood became by the force of matters a reference for relevant actions to improve the residents’ access to services, equipment and public areas, thus reinforcing the participation of residents and community organizations. Thus, this approach meets the need for access to essential services and decent and sustainable housing for displaced persons and residents of the original neighborhoods.
In this view, the Haitian Government wished to implement a pilot program of integrated development for the neighborhoods of Martissant and Baillergeau requiring development schemes for both neighborhoods. The Programme d’Aménagement Intégré des Quartiers Informels de Port-au-Prince: Martissant and Baillergeau (AIQIP) [Program for the Integrated Development of the Informal Neighborhoods of Port-au-Prince: Martissant and Baillergeau], financed by the European Union and the French Development Agency (Agence Française de Développement) includes numerous engineering, road construction, networked infrastructures, development of public areas and equipment operations. It also comprises a major aspect of housing and support for self-reconstruction, including land purchasing activities, support to the sectors of artisanal construction and the development of new industrial sectors. Finally, it includes civic actions in the areas of health, education, information, communications and cooperation.
The AIQIP Program was designed and implemented in partnership with the Groupe d’Echanges et des Recherches Technologiques (GRET) [Exchanges and Technological Research Group], at Baillergeau, and Fondation Connaissance et Liberté (FOKAL) [Foundation for Knowledge and Freedom], at Martissant, that have long been established in these neighborhoods.
Unité de Construction de Logements et de Bâtiments Publics (UCLBP), is the steering entity and coordinator of the program. Its mission is to encourage the reconstruction of the agglomerations destroyed by the earthquake of January 12, 2010. As such, it guarantees compliance with short, mid and long-term objectives and is responsible for implementation respectful of the prerogatives of each institution. In the framework of this program, the implementation tools of the Politique Nationale du Logement et de l’Habitat (PNLH) [National Policy for Housing and Habitat] will be developed.
The coordination unit of the AIQIP Program, integrated to the Housing Division of UCLBP, for more than a year now has been constituted of eight (8) executive officials in charge of road development activities and monitoring the operations of partners in the spirit of reinforcing the actions of public institutions. In regard to the structuring road works, to networks and improvement of the future habitat, UCLBP wishes to recruit an Operations Manager to carry out the execution of the recommendations of the development schemes for Baillergeau and Martissant.
The purpose of the position is to contribute to the actions of UCLBP in the different activities of integrated development in the context of the program for implementing the recommendations of the development schemes for Martissant and Baillergeau.
As such, the Program's Operations Manager must take part in executing the Program's activities in matters of urban planning. Under the hierarchical authority of the Program Coordinator, the Operations Manager shall have the following tasks:
· To guide the Program's planning and supervisory activities;
· To coordinate the works as a whole together with the officers of the partner operations, the Housing Project Manager and the Manager of Development Operations;
· To liaise with public entities, operators and service providers;
· To plan and supervise technical activities and infrastructure works;
· To provide technical support and ensure quality control as well as the integration of construction activities with the other components of the work;
· To coordinate the information provided by the team for drafting technical and financial reports as well as progress status;
· To ensure the development of the Program's communications tools;
· To monitor all of the projects implemented in the areas of intervention
· To ensure the enforcement of land tenure law and prevent the risk of litigation;
· To abide by the budget and procurement plan.
The Operations Manager shall contribute to the implementation of the Program and the execution of the budget. He shall attend the activities and event of the AIQIP and UCLBP's program inasmuch as required. He shall attend the regular meetings of the Program's Technical Monitoring Committee and contribute in the development of reports and the monitoring of the projects. He shall also contribute to the implementation of the Program and the execution of the project. He shall produce monthly reports of his activities.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· To hold a degree in the fields of management, administration, land management, urban planning, architecture and engineering sciences;
· To have a minimum of ten (10) years experience in the field of project management;
· To have excellent command of project management software;
· To have a sense of initiative and show rigor in contract management;
· To demonstrate good skills in facilitation and negotiation;
· To be familiar with the procedures of Haitian public administration and international institutions;
· To demonstrate the ability to work in partnership with public entities;
· To be flexible and agree to work outside of normal office hours, if need be;
· To be capable of preventing risks and to propose adequate solutions;
· To have the ability to work under pressure and to manage priorities;
· To have excellent analysis, synthesis and drafting skills;
· To show a capacity for team work ;
· To have organizational capacity and show communication skills for oral and written presentations;
· To master written and spoken Creole and French, English is an asset.
TERM OF CONTRACT
The term of the contract is of one (1) year renewable, and the place of work is Port-au-Prince.
The parties concerned have to submit their application file to the attention of : “Cellule Administrative et Financière” UCLBP, 32 Rue Faubert, Pétion-Ville, or via E-mail : email@example.com, by mentioning the reference of this notice.
The application file – in three (3) copies in a single envelope – must contain : curriculum vitae, letter of interest (1 page), copies of diplomas and reference letters of previous jobs during the last ten (10) years. An acknowledgement of receipt will be only sent to the pre-selected candidates. Applications received after the deadline, will not be considered.
Reference : AR/AIQIP260315003
Deadline date for submission : 23 AVRIL 2015
Issuing date : 31 mars 2015