Mercy Corps, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives.
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Communicate with local partners and sub-grantees to verify their systems and ensure that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and respond to operational needs as they arise, especially procurements.
- Work with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
- Be responsible for full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals contained in the Office in a Box.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Oversee interaction and participation in the UN Cluster System.
Operations Management – Human Resources
- Development/review country or field office specific HR policies and with the HR team communicate to teams.
- Ensure HR systems are implemented and ensure all HR policies comply with local law.
- Oversee fair, transparent and timely recruiting processes and the HR database and tracking of team members.
- Assist managers in implementing the performance review process and a fair and competitive compensation system.
Operations Management - Logistics
- Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurements and use of Mercy Corps’ Electronic Procurement System found in the Office in a Box; Chair tender openings as required.
- Ensure warehouse procedures are followed as described in the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; oversee NFI, commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Supervise the fleet management team and ensure systems to track maintenance, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; maintain service contracts.
- Coordinate logistics (non-program) aspects of material aid projects and associated shipments; manage importation and customs clearance elements. Oversee equipment registration, licensing and insurance, etc.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow; oversee tracking of all assets.
Operations Management - Administration
- Ensure Admin. systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
- Oversee set-up and development of Mercy Corps offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, IT.
- Develop and periodically review country or field office specific policies and communicate them to teams.
- Oversee database and file management for administration, procurement, logistics resources documents.
- Oversee facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Be responsible for any necessary expatriate visa and work permits.
- Supervise IT System Administrator to ensure functional IT systems.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Malian law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 4 years field experience setting up and managing administration, procurement, logistics, and human resource systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience working in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (esp. procurement systems) desirable; M&E experience preferred and knowledge of USAID and UNHCR regulations helpful.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written French skills required; proficiency in English is strongly desired.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.