Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is seeking to hire a full-time Operations Manager in Ethiopia, to assist in the establishment and management of a branch office in collaboration with the Country Representative, Finance Manager and U.S. headquarters. This position will report to the Country Representative for Vital Strategies in Ethiopia as well as a second line report to the Deputy Director of International Operations in the United States.
- During 2020, the Operations Manager will create strong administrative controls for a new branch office and develop effective management systems between Vital Strategies’ New York office, the local office, and all local third parties including payroll services, building landlord and other local vendors. They will take on a lead role during the office set-up process in coordination with headquarters and the Country Representative.
- The Operations Manager will work closely with the Deputy Director of International Operations as part of the cross divisional Set-up Team to locate and prepare new office premises to open in 2020 [expected scale – 5-7 staff + 2 guest/meeting], establishing linkages with required vendors and services (IT, financial services, payroll, HR benefits providers), and operational procedures to ensure the office functions within local compliance requirements.
- Under the direction of the Legal Department and the Country Representative, liaise and follow-up with government officials, private businesses, authorities and consultants for obtaining requisite registrations and permissions for establishing a country office, incorporation, taxation/NGO exemption application, etc.
Administration, Operations and Human Resources
- Monitor and track compliance schedule for local requirements.
- Monitor and manage IT, procurement, facilities, insurance, and other operational activities; track and coordinate annual, quarterly, monthly, and ad-hoc contracts and service agreements locally or with U.S. headquarters.
- Serve as local HR (Human Resources) liaison, working closely with the HR team to support the recruitment and onboarding process, work directly with payroll and benefits providers, manage employee relations and ensure compliance to the local labor laws.
- Contribute to the development and refinement of Vital Strategies’ business processes for the efficient operation and management of the Vital Strategies’ office.
- Support the Ethiopia Country Representative and the Deputy Director of Global Security in the implementation of and compliance to Vital Strategies’ security management plan for Ethiopia and travelers.
- Monitor and facilitate lease renewal business terms in close liaison with U.S. office and Country Representative. Oversee and manage relationship and activities with local property management company, including for the upkeep of the physical office facilities.
- Support the Finance Manager as needed, including the development of the annual budget; assistance with financial services providers (external audit, payroll, local accounting firm); etc.
- Tailor and maintain the Operations and Finance Manual for Ethiopia.
- Limited travel between the U.S, and other Vital Strategies locations may be required during mutually agreed time periods.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., operations management, business administration, economics)
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in operations management
- Experience in managing an office and operational functions such as IT and procurement
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting and ability to apply concepts
- Collaborative, dedicated team player with excellent communication, organizational and coordination skills
- Knowledge of human resources processes and local labor law preferred
- Prior experience working in non-profit or global development sectors preferred
- This Vacancy Advertisement is open to Ethiopian Nationals and candidates holding a valid work resident permit for Ethiopia
- Vital Strategies strongly encourages qualified female candidates to apply