Engineers Without Border (EWB) Australia, Sydney, Australia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Play an integral role in a fun, innovative and inclusive not-for-profit team
- Actively contribute to creating change through humanitarian engineering
- Bolster your career within a progressive, supportive work environment
About your role
- As EWB grows and actively works toward achieving its 2020 strategy, the Operations Officer is critical to delivering EWB’s operational objectives. It is a great way to deepen your existing administration experience, where you’ll lead the inner workings of fundraising, office systems and financial adminstration within an energetic NGO.
- You will support EWB staff to manage administrative areas related to finance and operations, CEO appointments and travel, fundraising, business development, human resources and event management. Your role optimises their time to focus on key growth areas such as operations systems strengthening, business development, fundraising, grants optimisation and program management.
- This role suits a highly organised, detail-oriented, energetic person who is able to work across both finance and operations, including for EWB’s Board and for fundraising.You are independent and able to work with minimal supervision. You are a person who respects limits, will work within boundaries and get tasks done. You manage competing priorities with sensitivity and flexibility and are experienced in successfully balancing various people and administrative tasks in a dynamic environment.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Working with EWB’s Accountant, you are responsible for:
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Monthly team reports generation
- Maintaining fixed assets register
- Bank deposits
- Ad hoc tasks, as required
Office and event coordination (30%)
- Answer EWB phones and generic office email account – triage enquiries appropriately.
- Meet-and-greet and coordinate office visitors
- Coordinate mail pick-up and distribution, including any changes to EWB’s PO Box
- Manage office inventory and rostering – office supplies, kitchen supplies, staff duties roster, etc
- Coordinate with EWB’s IT provider and in-house IT specialist on office equipment needs, as required, and manage the IT fixed assets
- Coordinate the alignment of security, risk and compliance systems and processes across EWB
- Lead the sourcing of new tenants and manage existing tenants within EWB’s office: the Dream Factory
- Coordinate sublicence agreements and associated administration for EWB’s subtenant relationships
- Manage contractor relationships: insurance, internet, phone, travel and other providers
- Manage EWB-specific building maintenance – partner with the Dream Factory’s liaison point to ensure building assets are working smoothly and the office is well set up for staff use
- Integrate the above processes into EWB’s existing systems, for continuity and information-sharing
Board administration (5%)
- Working with CFO/Company Secretary, you are responsible for:
- Managing logistics for EWB Board meetings, Board sub-committee meetings, key Board-specific events
- Preparing Board agendas, minutes for sub-committees and associated administrative tasks
Human resources (5%)
- Coordinate staff induction administration (e.g. systems and site induction, safety documents/ pass distribution, induction documents, industry accreditation certificate completion, etc)
- Process and file key HR and finance documents such as Working with Children Checks, Police Checks – scan, save into internal systems and notify the relevant parties they have been completed.
Fundraising and donor management administration (30%)
- Administration assistance with fundraising and donor management
- Management of EWB’s database of monthly donors and workplace givers
- Management of EWB’s peer to peer fundraising database
- Reconciliation of donations to EWB’s databases
- Management of the EWB Shop - re-ordering, stock take, invoice payment, volunteer communication
- Complete reconciliations of fundraising and donor administration
Qualifications and Essential Skills
- Demonstrated experience and enthusiasm for leading efficient office management systems and processes, including vendor management
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritise work, including managing stakeholder expectations about what is inside and outside your scope of work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to build strong relationships
- Ability to stay calm under pressure, act resourcefully and manage changing priorities with key people
- Conscientious attitude with accuracy with data, attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Experience and interest in fundraising, reconciliations and financial/ IT systems management
- Proficiency in MS Office and Salesforce with data entry experience in either/ both systems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and complex environment, meet urgent deadlines, and work with others to manage deadlines as needed
- Self starter and independent worker who can proactively self-manage and source support when needed.
- An understanding of operations within engineering and/ or the not-for-profit sector
- Bookkeeping experience is not essential, but the interest and willingness to learn basic accounting functionality using an accounting system.
- Experience with the realities of running fundraising activities
- Experience working with major accounting and IT packages, including Xero
- Experience using secure online payment management systems
EWB capabilities you'll embody
- Embody EWB’s values: we are a ‘small giant’, an innovative team operating at the nexus of engineering and community development, with a strong focus on practical, continuous improvement within our systems and programs. Being truly passionate about and advocating for EWB!
- Lead yourself: Being empowered to make your own decisions, knowing when and how to escalate important decisions; and driving your own goals, work and professional development.
- Enable others: Inspiring, leading, mentoring and managing my own people within EWB’s movement.
- Innovate insightfully: Using targetted research and knowledge to inspire intelligent action. Thinking outside the box to deeply understand the contexts EWB can innovate in, to innovate with purpose.
- Communicating clearly, powerfully and with strategic intent.
- Achieve and monitor results: Ensuring EWB’s internal systems and processes are delivered with quality, purpose and critical insight.