Operations Specialist - Internal Control
UN Children's Fund, Dem. Rep, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall guidance of the Ebola Coordinator and the Operations Manager, the Operations Specialist - Internal Control is responsible for supporting the DRC Office in mitigating risks related to governance, programmes (including emergency programmes) and operations processes in its Ebola Response. S/he will provide adequate and continuous feedback to the Ebola Coordinator and the Operations Manager on the quality, relevance and efficiency of programmes and operational implementation in the Ebola Response and adherence to UNICEF’s zero tolerance for corruption, in addition to and independently from the monitoring carried out by zone/provincial and Kinshasa offices.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Undertake visits to Ebola Response project sites and sub-offices to monitor compliance with all operational systems and operation inputs and propose action to improve the processes, Sops internal control. Visit a representative number of Response interventions to verify that standards of quality for process and products/results are adhered to. Review the pace of project progress and comment on the causes for delays.
- Conduct special management reviews and assist in the follow-up on the implementation of the internal/external audit recommendations and provide feedback on the status to the Operations Manager and Ebola Coordinator.
- Provide lessons on programme design, supply, cash, partnership and technical assistance management. Assist in the identification of operational and programmatic risks and weaknesses and makes recommendations to mitigate them troubleshoots problem areas and proposes solutions to the Operations Manager and Ebola Coordinator.
- Make recommendations for office improvement and forward monthly progress reports to the Ebola Coordinator and Operations Manager. Streamline the coordination of HACT related activities across the Ebola Response including micro-assessments, spot checks, third party monitoring, entreprise risk management, etc. Ensure accuracy, timeliness and appropriateness of information and reports to the Ebola Coordinator and Operations Manager.
- Contribute to updating the office's standard operating procedures, to ensuring that staff understand them, and testing a sample of transactions to verify that the procedures are being properly implemented.
- Provide feedback on end use monitoring of supplies and construction works in order to improve the quality and efficiency of the supply process.
- Contribute to providing training and orientation to newly recruited and other staff and partners on UNICEF's policies and procedures.
- Any other tasks given by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- EDUCATION: Advanced university degree in Business administration and financial management. A Bachelor level degree in combination with additional years of relevant professional work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: Five years of continuous professional work experience of managing large projects or programmes, including financial management, particularly developing and implementing financial control system, preferably with an international development agency or NGO.
- LANGUAGES: Fluency in French is required. Fluency in English is highly desirable.