Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide comprehensive and customized mentoring and technical assistance to CBO and NGO partners
• Lead organizational development capacity assessments and institutional strengthening plans with all Partners
• Consolidate assessment results across the cohort of partners to identify and analyze organizational capacity patterns and identify new strategic directions for capacity building support
• Update Partner implementation plans to ensure that all capacity building priorities are documented and progress tracked over time
• Regularly share capacity building information, articles, tools, and resources with partners
• Develop training materials and conduct dynamic organizational development trainings customized to the individual needs of partners
• Monitor, evaluate, and report on the impact of OD interventions, exploring ways to deepen understanding of the degree to which OD interventions lead to enhanced HIV service delivery
• Lead implementation of innovative capacity development interventions and reporting formats
• Document effective capacity building approaches, methodologies and activities for sharing as best practices with the broader Pact world
• Conduct periodic review/mapping of the technical and organizational strengths/assets that exist among the Partners so that best practices and expertise can be exchanged locally
• Actively participate in regular Partner Update meetings with the Pact Swaziland Programs Team
• Provide strategic inputs into the overall capacity building program component, recommending adaptations based on ongoing lessons learned
• Through internal processes and use of consultants develop and field test new and improved technical methodologies, tools and other products and services
• Regularly interface with Pact Swaziland Programs Teams to ensure smooth coordination of programmatic and technical assistance
Networking, Alliance Building and Collaboration
• Review tools utilized by Pact to conduct assessment and revise as required for the Swaziland program.
• Participate in Pact’s Capacity Development Community of Practice forum and contribute to documentation and development of new and existing capacity building and specifically OD methodologies within Pact.
• Work closely with Pact Swaziland MER Advisor to develop processes for measuring the impact of Pact’s interventions.
• Ensure Pact’s activities are complementary to efforts of other donors and those of other regional NGOs and public sector regional organizations.
• Remain informed of new developments in organizational development through participation in forums with international and sister agencies.
• Participate in OD related conferences and workshops as appropriate and network with OD specialists.
• Regularly document and disseminate best practices in organizational strengthening
• Maintain the e-filing system of shared network drives, saving all relevant information to the designated location.
• Respond to information requests from partners in a timely manner.
• Maintain close communication with Pact Regional and global staff on OD innovations.
Program Design, Management, and Oversight
• Assist with the development annual work plans, performance monitoring plans (PMPs), and reports for submission to and approval by donors.
• Assist the Country Director in developing and supporting the implementation and monitoring of the Country Office Strategy and other organizational initiatives.
• As a member of Management, participate in strategic planning and monitoring efforts for the program.
• Provide supportive supervision to staff working on organizational development issues and/or as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Relevant Master’s degree with practical experience in developing and implementing OD programs.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in successful capacity building of civil society organizations in Africa.
• Proven skills in building organizational capacity of CBOs and NGOs in implementing HIV/AIDS programs.
• Previous experience working with USAID funded programs and knowledge of USAID regulations.
• Previous experience with and knowledge of Global Fund programming would be an added advantage.
• Experience developing and leading innovative OD technical trainings.
• Knowledge of community-based HIV/AIDS programming with a special focus on HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa including knowledge of some of the following: HIV prevention (SBCC, HTC), OVC impact mitigation, care, and/or treatment.
• Diplomacy and negotiation skills that demonstrate ability to collaborate and coordinate with a range of stakeholders and complex priorities.
• Ability to work independently, take initiative and manage a variety of activities concurrently.
• A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively.
• Fluency in English for day-to-day communications and excellent English writing and presentation skills. Knowledge of additional languages useful.
• Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through training and mentoring.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects effectively, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems.
• Demonstrated skills in working with multinational groups and fostering collaborative relationships across multiple organizations.
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation systems.
• Ability to work under pressure of work and yet deliver effectively.