UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Tajikistan UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society to advance gender equality through the implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. The work of UN Women Tajikistan is guided by the following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of the women, peace and security agenda; and women empowerment. UN Women collaborates closely with the UN Country Team to integrate women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of the UN’s work in Tajikistan.
Communication and advocacy represent an integral part of UN Women’s planning and implementation of the programme. The communication efforts derive from the UNW Corporate Communication Strategy and incorporate all relevant elements, including UN and UNW global campaigns (UNiTE, HeForShe, etc.), regional work, and in-country interventions. Activities will in line with global and regional communication strategies and shall consider all important global (SDG, etc.) as well as national developments (e.g. new NAP 1325, etc.). UNW PP runs GTG Facebook page and contributes to the regional UNW website for disseminating any relevant information and results from UNW-led and joint (with UN and other partners) initiatives.
Through its mandate, UN Women partners with government, civil society, UN agencies, Gender Thematic Group (GTG) to build their capacity on implementation of the SDGs, UPR recommendations, CEDAW Concluding Observations (2013 and 2018), etc. and implement projects integrating policy advice, advocacy, development of policy examples, gender-responsive models of service delivery and capacity building of the government, women’s groups and civil society to translate global norms into national reforms, policies, legislation, plans, budgets and practices and repeal discriminatory social and legal norms.
Partnership with the civil society organizations working on gender aimed at increasing their role in monitoring of State implementation of commitments and their advocacy at international and national levels. In light of the principle “Leaving no one behind” UN Women partners with NGOs led by women representing vulnerable groups such as Tajikistan Network of Women Living with HIV, League of Women with Disabilities “Ishtirok” and others.
Reporting to Programme Coordinator, Youth and HIV, the Partnership and Communication Associate provides programme support to effective management of UN Women programmes by contributing in the programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. She/he will make specific contribution and efforts to build advocacy and communication interventions and establish strong partnerships to assist UN Women and other RUNOs (UNDP and UNICEF) in implementation of the Empowered youth for peaceful Tajikistan, so project communication platforms and networks supported by the project facilitate sustained adolescent and youth voice and participation across development priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide coordination support in the development of a coherent Programme Office communications and advocacy strategy
- Provide inputs and background information for the development of the Programme Office communication strategy;
- Provide support to advocacy efforts and campaigns by organizing roundtable discussions, press conferences, and other publicity events and providing inputs to briefing materials and press releases;
- Provide support to programme and other Programme Office staff on UN Women corporate communications guidelines and printing norms;
- Track and monitor print and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform strategy development.
Provide coordination support to the development of Programme Office advocacy materials
- Identify storylines and achievements within the Programme Office for online and print publications;
- Draft press releases, articles, key messages and other advocacy materials;
- Coordinate the translation, adaptation, or rewriting of information received for the local context; disseminate materials to appropriate stakeholders;
- Coordinate the publication of materials for final approval; maintain relationships with printers/ publishers;
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials, photos, and digital assets;
- Follow guidelines from RO/HQ.
Provide support in the management of the Programme Office’s social media presence and website
- Identify stories, and provide input to the development of content for the website hosted at the Regional Office and social media channels;
- Update the website and social media channels, ensure consistency in branding;
- Research, compile and produce reports on web statistics on a regular basis and electronic surveys, as required;
- Maintain files, databases, and systems relevant to the Programme Presence’s digital presence.
Provide media relations support to the Programme Coordinator
- Serve as a focal point on UN Women activities open to the press, as necessary;
- Maintain and update database of relevant press in country;
- Respond to request for information and arrange interviews, as delegated;
- Provide substantive inputs to talking points.
Facilitate knowledge management and sharing
- Contribute to the identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Organize trainings and workshops on communication practices;
- Provide/ exchange information with HQ and RO.
Provide technical support to the programme implementation and management in networking and partnerships area
- Ensure well maintained and continually developed contact-list and database of suppliers, partners, state agencies, organizations and entrepreneurships, useful in achieving advocacy and communication objectives. Ensure the effective development of working relationships with the UN Women Team and UN communication counterparts (including Government, UN and other counterparts);
- Ensure effective partnership, networking and coordination between other ongoing UN agencies and partnering programmes and activities in the country for a more holistic and coherent approach to programme implementation;
- Collaborate with organization partners to develop and implement joint communications strategies, maintain and update relevant database/ contact-list and collect all needed materials in order to support the partnership development process;
- Ensure consistency and appropriateness of country-specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages shared with partners;
- Assist to develop and improve the process of working collaboration with partners, including conducting the meetings, joint projects, information sharing, etc.;
- Identify opportunities to strengthen capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication events, access to information, supplies, equipment and through knowledge sharing;
- Monitor, evaluate and share results and findings with partners.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme
- Monitor progress on programme activity, results and indicators;
- Monitor the implementation of proposals by responsible partners;
- Provide inputs to quarterly reports, donor reports and other reports on outputs, results outputs and outcomes
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Provide support on special web/digital/media projects undertaken by the Programme Office.
Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality
Strong event planning skills
Strong knowledge of social media and communication strategies and methods
Ability to identify relevant events and stories and communicate them to a mass audience
Strong multimedia skills: Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, social sciences is an asset.
- At list 6 years experience in communication, print, broadcast, new media, and/or project management and partnership building.
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) as well as web based management systems;
- Experience in the use of social media and digital communications
- Previous work experience in the UN system and familiarity with UN compliance regulations and procedures as an advantage;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Proficiency in oral and written English, Tajik and Russian is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;