“UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, including Indonesia, working to eradicate poverty while protecting the planet. UNDP supports implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Indonesia, UNDP works with the Government to integrate SDGs into national plan and policies.”
In each of its thematic areas of work UNDP, at the request of its national partners, provides relevant policy advisory support, technical assistance, advocacy, and knowledge to help Indonesia achieve its global commitment on SDG (Sustainable Development Goals).
With Indonesia’s transition to Middle Income Country Status, Official Development Assistance from traditional donor sources has been on the decline. UNDP is therefore working with its national partners to identify and tap into alternative and innovative financing mechanisms for development. This process involves broadening outreach and forging wide-ranging partnerships with stakeholders - including other UN agencies, the private sector, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, etc. - to advance the country’s development objectives. A strong and effective partnership development strategy is important to this effort.
To direct these efforts, UNDP Indonesia is seeking to recruit a Partnership Development Specialist with a proven background in external relations, donor partnerships, business development and resource mobilization. The incumbent is expected to develop and help implement strategies for UNDP Indonesia’s engagement with the private sector and build networks with the private sector, foundations, etc. The incumbent is also expected to provide technical inputs and contribute to UNDP’s engagement with the private sector to support development at sub national and national level.
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP Country Director, working closely with Office teams, the Partnership Development Specialist will be responsible for the development of UNDP’s partnership and resource mobilization with the private sector and foundations in support of Indonesia’s national development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Develop partnership strategy and implementation framework;
- Identify partnership opportunities – both in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and core business operations;
- Leverage and mobilize CSR resources in UNDP projects and programmes;
- Build and manage networks with private sector and relationship management;
- Ensure due diligence and risk assessment using UNDP standard tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delineate the strategic role of private sector partnerships at national and state levels in UNDP Indonesia’s Country Programme against UNDP’s corporate priorities in this area;
- Develop and help implement UNDP Indonesia’s strategy making the business case for a closer private sector engagement focusing on both partnerships in CSR and core businesses;
- Support UNDP Indonesia’s advocacy efforts on CSR and engagement with the private sector on SDGs and UNDP programme priority areas;
- Scan the environment for private sector partnership opportunities using partner specific analysis, needs and comparative strengths;
- Assist in resource mobilization by preparing the background analysis, partner consultations, and high-level meetings to facilitate a closer cooperation with the private sector;
- Facilitate outreach and partnership development in identified sectors and programme areas and work with the programme units to formalize subsequent project proposals;
- Identify suitable partnership instruments and operational modalities for engagement with the private sector within the existing laws and regulatory framework;
- Use UNDP standard due diligence and risk assessment tools while formalizing the project engagement with the private sector;
- Take the lead in establishing and maintaining strategic contacts and association with relevant partners, follow-up proactively on engagement ideas and work closely with Programme Units;
- Map and track UNDP Indonesia’s internal needs for potential private sector engagement initiatives and CSR activities aligned with the Government of Indonesia’s -UNDP Country Programme Action Plan;
- Provide regular technical support, information and expert guidance to UNDP Country and Government office on engagement with the private sector and CSR;
- Work closely with the UNDP Communications team for appropriate messaging for UNDP engagement with the private sector.
- Explore opportunities for mobilizing private sector Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) resources to support Government of Indonesia/UNDP initiatives and develop relevant private sector partnership strategies including building partnerships to promote Gender Equality
- Explore different funding sources, models and modalities (e.g. carbon financing, green investment fund, localizing SDGs , blended finance, elaborating philanthropy sources etc.) and define parameters for UNDP’s engagement;
- Ensure gender-related economic, environmental, public research and analysis, to contribute to the formulation of policies, programme interventions, procedures, guidelines and tools.
Impact of Results
- Private sector partnership strategy for achieving UNDP Country Programme results and SDGs developed;
- Suitable operational modality (ies) for UNDP engagement with the private sector established;
- Opportunities in CSR and resource mobilization for UNDP Country Programme identified;
- Private sector advisory services made available to stakeholders;
- Robust partnership networks established with the private sector, foundations
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Excellent networking with tiers private sectors and philanthropy association.
- Possesses in-depth practical knowledge of gender responsive planning, gender responsive policy making etc
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps to draft proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients, and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
- Promote and established PPP model on financing for SDG‘s
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
- Create marketing tools for resources mobilization
- Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Mapping potential clients
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender blind behaviors within the project and with partners
- Communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Team and partnership building: Working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Development and operational effectiveness: Effective leadership and process management for gender equality (team work, goal setting, time management, priority setting, meeting management, etc)
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Marketing and Communications, Public Administration, or related social sciences.
- At least 8 years for Master’s degree of relevant experience at the national and/or international level working on partnership and resource mobilization issues.
- Relevant working experience on corporate partnerships and programme development with particular focus on corporate partnership development, design and implementation of CSR strategies and plans, communication, responsible business practices, sustainable development or humanitarian action
- Diversified experience in working with public and private sector organizations is desirable
- Proven track record of successful partnership development and the realization of actual corporate engagements
- Knowledge of partnership policies, procedures and instruments in United Nations development agencies or other multi-lateral or bilateral agencies would be desirable.
- Excellent networking and resources mobilization capacities
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia.