UNDP Country Programme (2018 – 2021) in Sudan aims to strengthen community resilience and promote inclusive sustainable development under the broad frameworks of UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan, the UN Development Assistance Framework for Sudan and the global Sustainable Development Goals. To achieve this, in line with national priorities, we implement programmes that ensure stabilization and governance for peace, environmentally sustainable livelihoods, and a peaceful transition from recovery to development building the nexus between humanitarian and development. We pay particular attention to the inclusion of vulnerable groups, women and youth, with interventions that apply multi-stakeholder partnerships as one of our main modus operandi.
The Strategic Planning, Partnerships and Communication (SPPC) Unit under programme division of Sudan Country Office, supports programme units in the delivery of country programme outputs and outcomes through two core multi-disciplinary interrelated functions. First, in implementation of corporate results-based management policies for Country Office (CO) through coordination and quality assurance in all aspects of planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of programmatic and development effectiveness. Second, in design and execution of CO communication, outreach and partnerships strategy with the aim to build visibility and resourceful partnerships with a wide range of UNDP stakeholders.
In particular, SPPC unit plays a lead role in supporting the CO engagements with private sector to realize UNDP Sudan 2018-2021 country programme’s partnership goals where it considers the private sector as a critical and transformative partner for the achievement of its outcomes and sees the sector has a high potential to test win-win business models in maximization of development impact towards larger goals of reducing inequality, poverty and driving economic growth and sustainable development. In light of this strategic priority, UNDP Sudan is in the process of establishing a dedicated development project that harnesses the strengths of the private sector in building sustainable value chains as well as applies innovative business models to address selected structural issues that prevent the private sector in leveraging their full potential towards social and economic transformation.
To meet the objectives of the pipeline project, support in its operationalization and perform selected standard partnership engagement functions, UNDP seeks to employ a Partnerships Officer with relevant experience across private-sector development initiatives with expertise in private sector dynamics in Sudan. The selected candidate must have experience in partnership building and private sector development projects including policy related issues.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Coordinator of Strategic Planning, Partnerships and Communications (SPPC) unit, the incumbent will support and follow-up on several UNDP’s private sector engagement initiatives and help in operationalization of the pipeline project on private sector development (PSD).
He/she will work in close collaboration with the programme and project team members, current and potential partners in particular from private sector, relevant government counterparts, subject matter experts, and civil society organizations ensuring successful implementation of UNDP’s partnership building plans and achievement of planned targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide assistance in partnership building and engagement efforts.
- Perform preparatory activities for the private sector development project.
- Ensure completion of essential processes towards partnership management as per corporate and CO partnership building policies.
- Provide assistance in partnership building and engagement efforts.
- Contribute to the opportunity scanning within the country and externally, based on partner-specific information and competitive landscape; identifying where the CO strengths overlap with partner/client priorities.
- In close cooperation with programme team, assist in identifying partnership opportunities ensuring that the engagement plan aligns with the objectives of our annual programme priorities.
- Facilitate initiation, expansion and enhancement of strategic partnerships for UNDP in its relationship with private sector and other donors.
- Contribute to the development and regular updating of donor profiles and detailed partnerships action plan, using in-house database tools and templates.
Perform preparatory activities for the private sector development project.
- As per UNDP policy, facilitate preparation and implement business processes required to formulate and start operationalization of the PSD project, including multiple stakeholder consultations.
- Support in scanning country policies on the private sector environment, analyze, make recommendations, and identify risks in those areas pertaining to the project strategy and country programme priorities.
- Identify and foster innovative engagement approaches with private sector actors for each PSD project outputs as well as for current and new projects that target local economic and business development.
- Represent UNDP in partnership networks, national forums, and workshops on private sector development and related issues.
- Facilitate coordination, and resource mobilization activities for the PSD project including the preparation of concept notes and proposal including results frameworks.
- Support procurement, contracting, monitoring and provide reviews to service providers engaged in the delivery of the project outputs as determined in the project action plan.
Ensure completion of essential processes towards partnership managmnet as per corporate and CO partnership building policies:
- Maintain an up to date country office partnership database.
- Organise, facilitate meeting(s) and coordinate between key actors and the Country Office during the partenrshop building process..
- In collaboration with relevant staff members, draft public information materials and online content in support of partnerships building and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Elaborate and document lessons learnt from past and existing partnership and reflect them in developing new ones.
Impact of Results:
The results have an impact on consolidation of UNDP’s positioning as a lead and innovative development agency in testing new multi-stakeholder partnership models in particular with private sector to build people’s resilience, drive economic stability and sustainable development. The key results have an impact on fostering and strengthening new partnerships while attaining resource mobilization targets for the pipeline project.
Functional Competencies:Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies edge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowl
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters’ degree in Business/Finance/Economics/International Development or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum two years of relevant experience, or four years with a Bachelor degree at the national or international level in multi-stakeholder partnership building, dealing with private and public sectors, international organizations; Experience in development-related work in a private sector; Extensive experience with a proven track record in resource mobilization with good knowledge/experience of Sudan private sector environment and context; Experience in MS Office packages, good knowledge and experience in handling web management systems required; Ability to communicate and advocate sensitively and effectively with different constituencies, coupled with strong negotiations, and ability to influence others to reach agreement will be desirable; Experience in Private Sector Development (PSD), inclusive business models and business development, and inclusive markets will be desirable; Experience in results-based planning and monitoring will be desirable.
- Knowledge of UNDP/UN procedures will be an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic language is required.