UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history. UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management and related monitoring and verification, community development, fund management, and procurement. UNOPS is based in Islamabad and has a provincial offices in Peshawar and Karachi
Background Information - Job-specific:
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Country Director, the Strategic Partnerships Advisor will act as an advisor to the UNOPS Pakistan senior management team on different strategic aspects of partnership development. This includes provision of guidance in the establishment of key linkages, rapport and network with the Government of Pakistan (both on federal and provincial levels). UNOPS Pakistan currently has a number of initiatives in the pipeline which needs to be closely developed in partnership with the Government of Pakistan and selected development partners. These initiatives include the areas of Infrastructure development, DRR, resilience, health and waste management to name a few. UNOPS Pakistan is seeking a well experienced professional with strong business and political acumen who could support the country team to gain traction on these areas and develop new leads as which are in line with the priorities of the Government of Pakistan.
Functions / Key Results Expected:
- Strategic Information gathering, Analysis and Communication
- Strategic advice and guidance to UNOPS Pakistan Senior management
- Partnership and programme development planning
- Development and follow up of partnership opportunities
- Representation, inter-government collaboration and partnership development
Strategic Information gathering, Analysis and Communication:
- Keep abreast of the political dynamics and strategic direction of the Pakistan Government, especially that of the Prime Minister’s Office and key partner Ministries, and regularly provide analysis and strategic advice to the UNOPS Pakistan senior management on current developments, trends and future plans of the Government;
- Identify information requirements of the local authorities, including central and provincial Government offices, civil society and local NGOs, and make recommendations on their needs for the development of UNOPS activities;
- Guide and support the UNOPS Pakistan office to ensure that the flow of right and strategic information is established and maintained;
- Guide the UNOPS Pakistan Partnerships Unit in collecting and maintaining a comprehensive operational information database, including names of key government officials and contact details.
Strategic advice and guidance to UNOPS Pakistan Senior management:
- Advise the UNOPS Pakistan Office to acquire business in key areas of organizational focus like infrastructure, procurement, fund management, HR Services and project management with sectoral focus on environmental management, solid waste management, health, education etc.
- Support and guide Senior Management’s overall liaison with Government and local authorities, including arranging access to the senior leaderships of the country;
- Promotes the UNOPS mandate at key Government, donor and UN meetings as required;
- Communicates with relevant government ministries, ministers, heads of departments and other key officials to clarify issues that may hinder the country office activities;
- Guide UNOPS Pakistan alignment with the Government’s strategic priorities and directions for the forthcoming business planning and strategy;
- Recommend solutions and provide strategic trouble-shooting;
- Facilitate the development of new business and partnership relationships in Pakistan between UNOPS and Government of Pakistan/Other UN Agencies/organizations
Partnership and programme development planning:
- Examine risks and opportunities presented by the strategic positioning of the Country office and propose appropriate responses to ensure sustainable growth
- Coordinate and collaborate with relevant Partnerships personnel at local level, as well as Project Managers and project personnel of the country offices covered by the office, to ensure aligned and coherent interactions with partners.
- Monitor and evaluate humanitarian and development trends and needs to identify areas of collaboration within UNOPS mandate and existing capacity.
- Research events, publications and announcements, to track and screen opportunities for possible UNOPS interventions and identify trends that will drive partnership opportunities.
- Contribute to the diversification of the Country Office in line with UNOPS strategic and Regional objectives.
Representation and inter-government partnership:
- Establish and further develop partnerships with the Government, as well as UN agencies, international organisations, governments, foundations, international NGOs and private sector organisations to diversify project opportunities within the / Country Office.
- Undertake advocacy, public information and communication activities in collaboration with the Communications Officer, when required.
- On behalf of the Country Office Director, participate in and report on the relevant government coordination meetings including addressing project development issues in consultation with UNOPS project managers and technical experts when required.
- Build a network of key partners among the Government, keeping abreast of evolving trends (social, economic, and political), including the application of innovation to project and partnership development.
Education: Master’s Degree in Public Affairs (Policy or Administration), Business Administration, Law, International Development or international relations, or other related fields of study.
- A minimum of 5 years (or more based on academic credentials) in project/program/portfolio setup/design, planning, procurement, resource allocation/management, implementation, stakeholder management, monitoring/oversight, and risk management;
- Regional experience (i.e. Asia) is an advantage; experience in Pakistan particularly in Government at a senior level is mandatory; Retired Civil Servants are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in developing complex partnerships with government stakeholders and development agencies;
- Substantial field experience and demonstrated ability to deliver multi-disciplinary projects/programs/operations in conflict and/or post-conflict environments and development setting would be advantageous;
- Familiarity with private sector and donor management Proven ability to demonstrate success in dealing with donors and clients;
- Prior working experience with UNOPS or UN agency in project managerial, oversight and business development roles would be advantageous;
- Strong analytical and drafting skills required (supported with relevant reports if and when requested);
- Excellent oral, written, and structured presentation skills with the ability to address a wide variety of leadership, governmental, business, technical, beneficiary audiences;
- Prior experience in knowledge/information management system consultancy would be valuable
- Prior experience in coaching/mentoring/capacity building
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Fluency in one or more additional official UNOPS languages is an advantage.