Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - BSSC
The UNOPS Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) is a Shared Services Centre (SSC) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The BSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
Background Information - Job-specific
- UNOPS’ mission is to expand the capacity of the United Nations system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.
- As part of the Shared Services Centre (SSC), the Payroll Assistant will be assigned to the Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC), and shall support all administrative and financial tasks related to the implementation of existing or new human resource services projects. Under the overall supervision of a Manager of Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) and the day-to-day guidance of a Team Leader, the Payroll Assistant supports the provision of financial services in the BSSC and ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Payroll Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
- Functional Responsibilities
Ensure timely and accurately administration of payroll, banking and disbursement services to UN Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) holder, hereinafter ICA holder, which includes following responsibilities:
- Process payments related to salaries in UNOPS ERP System
- Check that payment to ICA holder is in compliance with supplier profile and the terms and conditions of the ICA awards
- Verify, confirm and post salaries transaction in UNOPS ERP System
- Ensure that documents and supporting files are accurate, complete and properly filed for future reference and audit purpose
- Perform payroll-related account reconcilitaion on montly basis to ensure correct charges
- Prepare GL journal entries related to ICA payroll to ensure financial accountability within the Financial Rules and Regulations of UNOPS
Support in team management, facilitate the knowledge building and knowledge sharing, which includes following responsibilities:
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure quality administration of payroll
- Support in producing various payroll reports and queries to Headquaters and Local Focal Points for reconciliation, auditing and budget allocations purpose when requested
- Interact with colleagues to exchange information on administrative and payroll issues
- Resolve routine administrative problems and refer complex issues to Team Leader with recommendations for course of action
- Notify and alert Team Leader on the issues to be followed up and resolved
- Provide technical advice, mentoring and/or organize training to colleagues on matters related to administrative, accounting and payroll
- Initiate team planning, objectives setting and contribute to team development
Contribute to payroll systems development, testing and maintenance
- Perform testing for the accuracy of the implementation and/or system enhancement
- Perform other related duties as required Education/Experience/Language requirements
- Education: Secondary education is required. Additional training in administrative and business practices an asset. BA degree is desirable but not required.
- Experience: 2-3 years experiences in similar job in the field of operations, finance, or other related field.
Good computer skills, including MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of second UN working language is desirable.