Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Payroll Manager and Payroll Accountant, the Payroll Assistant ensures effective delivery of global payroll accounting, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Payroll Assistant provides technical expertise for the processing of payroll for UN Staff Members in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. The Payroll Assistant promotes a client oriented approach in providing payroll services to UNOPS and its partners.
The Payroll Assistant works in close collaboration with other offices to resolve complex accounting and payroll issues and ensure consistent service delivery. He/she works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the field offices and UNOPS HQ staff ensuring successful performance in payroll financial management.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support in administrative and payroll related tasks
- Support in producing payroll reports and queries
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support in administrative and payroll related tasks, including following responsibilities:
- Perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to Payroll
- Ensure that documents and supporting files are accurate, complete and properly filed for audit purposes
- Support to the day to day payroll transactions
- Create receipts and initiate payments in UNOPS ERP System
- Process payments relating to salaries in UNOPS ERP System
- Check that payment to Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) holder is in compliance with vendor profile and the terms and conditions of the ICA agreement
- Prepare all relevant supporting documentation for the Team Lead to review payment vouchers
- Interact with colleagues to exchange information on administrative issues and seek co-operation
- Maintain accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all project document for easy reference and retrieval
Support in producing various payroll reports and queries focusing on the following results:
- Accurate payroll data resulting in reduction of recoveries, advances and other exceptional payments
- Timely and accurate determination and processing of payments
- Audit checks and balances for due diligence and financial accountability within the Financial Rules and Regulations of UNOPS
- Maximize the use of technology to keep the client informed of their payroll elements and changes thereto
Support in facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects personnel on Payroll
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent. A BA or MA degree may substitute required years of work experience.
- 3 years of experience in supporting a payroll, accounting and/or HR administration.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of the second UN working language is desirable.