The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill for candidates to participate in the PD Summer Internship Programme 2020 in the Policy and Programme Department (PD).
The position will be based in the Social Protection Unit, Regional Bureau Dakar (RBD). The internship will be typically for the period of at least 3 months during May/June to August/ September 2020.
Brief description of WFP activities and SAMS Unit in Dakar
- WFP Pro-Smallholder Food Assistance programme in West African and Central countries has been mainly oriented on strengthening smallholder agriculture and promotion of market development through an integrated approach with social protection programmes that aim to build resilience.
- The SAMS unit in RBD provides technical support to country offices in designing and implementing pro-smallholder food assistance programme in line with WFP strategic results (SR) (SR3 enhance smallholder productivity and incomes/SR4 sustainable food systems).
- In the line of the Corporate Pro-Smallholder Food Assistance Strategy, Smallholder Agricultural Market Support (SAMS) portfolio includes two strategic thrusts, depending on whether support to smallholders is driven by food purchases (aiming to help smallholders able to produce marketable surpluses overcome challenges in accessing markets) or rests on theme-based interventions (aiming to address factors that undermine resilience in the fragile contexts in which WFP typically operates).
- SAMS portfolio includes activities, investments and partnerships, that leads to enhance smallholder technical and operational capacities in the area of good agriculture practices, post-harvest handling and storage, farmers organization’s governance, marketing and access to market, access to finance. These activities and investment are framed around 4 impact pathways: demand side, supply push, inclusive aggregating systems and enabling environment (market system).
- Most of countries in RBD are implementing SAMS activities in their Country Strategic Plan (CSP)/ Transitional Interim Country Strategic Plan (T-ICSP). This mainstreaming and expansion are largely a result of government interest in linking Family Farming with social protection systems.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the SAMS Coordinator of the unit, the PD Summer Intern will perform the following duties:
- Work closely with RBD Country Offices, specially the SAMS focal points, to provide support in the implementation of SAMS action plans and help to capture evidences and best practices
- Work closely with country offices to prepare inputs for RBD monthly update on SAMS activities progress in RBD Country Offices
- Assist the SAMS coordinator in updated SAMS intervention mapping including South-South cooperation and post-harvest losses reduction initiatives
- Perform other tasks as needed.
Qualifications and experience
- Currently enrolled in a master’s degree programme OR a recent graduate of a master’s degree (graduated within the last 6 months
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook)
- Excellent English and French verbal and writing skills
- Good knowledge of issues related to food security and nutrition, value chain and linking smallholder farmers to market
Working Languages: Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) and French is required.