UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
Sudan, surrounded by the Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya and South Sudan, positioned next to East, West, South and North Africa, is surrounded by complex conflicts in an unpredictable, volatile and rapidly evolving region. Sudan is by size the third biggest country in Africa, with a diverse population of around 42 million people. Sudan’s children make up half of the total population, and the past two decades have seen their lives significantly improve: fewer girls and boys are dying before their fifth birthday, primary school attendance is increasing, immunization coverage is high and the country remains polio free. Still, millions of children continue to suffer from protracted conflict in Darfur, the Kordofans, and Blue Nile, from seasonal natural disasters, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, and from under-investment in basic social services. More than three million of Sudan’s school aged children are not in the classroom. UNICEF has been in Sudan since 1952 and continues with a presence in 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of Assignment
The project is a first pilot project in Darfur that requires dedicated staff to ensure sound technical design, coordination with all stakeholders and close monitoring of implementation. The project coordinator will be responsible for the overall quality and timely implementation of the project.
Basic objectives of consultancy: Coordinate the implementation, management and monitoring of the Peacebuilding Project with UNDP, UNAMID, the government, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Organize and participate in peacebuilding coordination group meetings in Zalingie and Golo
- Organize periodic meetings with UNDP on status of project implementation
- Provide substantive inputs to development of any new proposals for peacebuilding
- At least 8 coordination meetings organized/attended
- At least 4 bilateral meetings organized with UNDP on project status
- Inputs to at least one proposal provided
- Develop annual and quarterly plans for implementation and monitoring of project activities in close consultation with partners and programme officers in Zalingei office, and support the development and finalization of Programme Document(s) with IP for peacebuilding project
Key Activities/Tasks: Annual and quarterly operational plan with specific timeline and M&E developed in consultation with programme officers and partners
- One annual plan and 3 quarterly operational plans developed and shared
- M&E tool and plans developed
- Provide technical support to UNICEF education, child protection and WASH staff in Zalingie office as well as government and NGOs partners in the design, implementation and monitoring of the peacebuilding project, ensuring timeliness and quality of activities
- Ongoing guidance and technical support to UNICEF programme officers on the development and finalization of programme documents provided
- Technical support on peacebuilding provided to NGOs that implement the project
- At least two PDs developed with NGOs for the Golo PB project
- At least 4 field visits to implementing NGOs conducted and technical support provided
- At least one training done for implementing partners to build their capacity on peacebuilding project
- Serve as the focal point for UNAMID State Liaison Function (SLF) and coordinator of UNICEF’s emergency preparedness response work in the broader Jebel Marra area through coordinating and developing emergency preparedness plans, contingency plans and their implementation
- Provide periodic updates, share and exchange information between UNAMID and UNICEF related to SLF
- Develop and maintain an up to date UNICEF EPP and contingency plan for Jebel Marra
- Ensure emergency PDs are valid with selected partners and supply are available and preposition on timely manner
- Monthly update on SLF prepared and shared
- EPP and contingency plan for Jebel Marra developed and updated
- At least two emergency PDs developed and signed
- Emergency Supplies are preposition as per the contingency plan
- Coordinate and support implementation of short surveys, assessments and evaluations in relation to the peacebuilding project
- Finalize and disseminate Golo PB baseline survey
- Maintain an up to date tracking and reporting database for PB project
- Baseline survey report finalized and published
- Simplified tracking and reporting database established and populated
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in one of the following fields: social sciences, public administration, law, public health, nutrition, international relations, business administration or other related disciplines.
- A minimum of [insert years] of relevant professional experience in in humanitarian, development and peacebuilding programming at national and international level and implementation at the field level
- Previous experience in emergency preparedness and response, transition settings and peacebuilding. Experience in Darfur will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and principles of humanitarian action, international humanitarian law and peacebuilding/sustaining peace policies of the UN
- Fluency in writing, reading and speaking English, knowledge of Arabic will be an asset
- Strong negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Computer skills, including various office applications.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another Arabic language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.