PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
VisionFund International (VFI) is seeking a full-time Senior Philanthropy Officer to support fundraising efforts in North America preferably based in Federal Way, WA. The Senior Philanthropy Officer will support fundraising efforts in North America. The role is designed to manage the day-to-day operations that support fundraising efforts for microfinance and financial inclusion in collaboration with the WV US and WV Canada support offices. Also support the North America Fundraising Manager in executing a fundraising strategy designed to help support WVUS and
WV Canada Philanthropy teams in the cultivation and servicing of existing donors, as well as collaborating to attract new prospects for economic empowerment and financial inclusion. The World Vision’s Economic Empowerment and Financial Inclusion programs are designed to help lift people out of poverty and into sustainable economic growth, with the ultimate goal of improving the well-being of children around the world.
The role will be set in a fast-paced and demanding environment, and requires strong relationship building skills, confidence, initiative, creative problem-solving, marketing experience, and attention to detail; as well as strong negotiation and influencing skills. The role will interact with various internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to the support offices’ philanthropy, programs and finance teams, VFI’s marketing and communications, operations, finance and other global centre teams. The successful candidate will also serve as deputy for the North America Fundraising Manager in her absence, and should be comfortable representing VisionFund internally, as well as externally. Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are essential.
Coordination and Administrative Support:
- Coordinate the day-to-day execution and operationalization of fundraising and program agreements existing between WV US Philanthropy and Private Funding, and VisionFund.
- Work in Coordination of WVUS EE Coordinator to provide regular and accurate financial projections and pipeline.
- Organize and coordinate donor engagements including engagement notes.
- Track donor engagements and action items.
- Regularly work in partnership with WVUS EE Coordinator to ensure VFI-WVUS synchronization.
- Support North America Fundraising Manager with fundraising needs on a day-to-day basis.
- Engage with Philanthropy Alliance in building product confidence for VFI products.
- Support North America Fundraising Manager in supporting Philanthropy Alliance SO’s in VF fundraising.
- Serve as a deputy to the North America Fundraising Manager when the Manager is away. In Manager’s absence, represent VFI to WVUS, WV Canada and external audiences.
Marketing and Engagement:
- Act as liaison between marketing and fundraising to ensure correct tone and messaging for North America audiences.
- Develop and distribute VFI donor touch points to be used by Relationship Managers in North America.
- Deliver on the donor promise by facilitating timely project proposals, reports and other inspiring information suitable for major donors by working with WV US and WV Canada teams, as well as internal VFI teams.
- Create and design project flyers and donor-facing reports.
- Meeting coordination and planning.
- Communication with North America fundraising teams during event planning and follow-up.
- Technical support for remote meetings.
- Assistance in ppt creation and video materials to support donor engagement.
- Manage logistics for in-person meetings (i.e. flights, accommodation, resources etc.)
- Help launch savings group reports as a new fundraising initiative.
- Track, format, and distribute savings group reports.
- Prepare monthly pipeline reporting for fundraising support and planning.
- Liaise with MFI offices in order to produce country-specific updates for key high net-worth donors.
- Consolidate global reporting inputs from MFIs to produce high quality donor reporting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Three years of non-profit project management or philanthropy support experience.
- Basic understanding of the workings of major philanthropy donors.
- Good understanding of World Vision standards, Strong coordination, capacity building and facilitation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, databases, and scheduling.
- Familiarity with campaign management.
- Ability to design and create donor-facing flyers and reports.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Financially numerate and able to work on budgets, scorecards and data analysis – numeracy at bachelor degree level is required (could have been gained through study or work experience).
- Understanding of forecasting methods and the ability to break down multi-year funding into a month-by-month forecast.
- Intercultural awareness skills.
- Experience providing financial and administrative support in a fundraising, development or corporate sales environment including budget monitoring.
- Experience of using a variety of information systems and consolidating financial data into user-friendly formats.
- Proven diplomatic skills – ability to work with senior staff, ability to influence and negotiate, ability to manage expectations of stakeholders including donors and potential donors.
- Experience of tracking financial performance (e.g. income against targets) and reporting on KPIs.
- Commitment to team working.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or related field.
- 2-3 years in working in philanthropy or marketing.
- 2-3 years working for a multi-cultural, international, organization.
- English fluency and Spanish language skills would be an advantage.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Writing skills, creativity and flexibility to tailor communications to individual donors/ different markets.
- Fundraising knowledge and cultural awareness, ideally gained through experience in an international fundraising context.
- Understanding of economic empowerment, particularly microfinance, and technical products for communicating with the public.
- Experience managing relationships with senior professionals who are volunteering in the charity sector.
- Work experience in an international organization with colleagues in multiple countries.
- Experience of the organization of field visits in developing countries.
- Work experience in international development / marketing / fundraising / project management.
- Experience of fundraising, finance or administration in a Christian non-profit organization.
- Experience of training others, including across language barriers and different cultures.