UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Through the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok and a number of country and multi-country offices as well as programme presences across the region, UN Women builds on a long history of support to governments, civil society and other actors, including the UN, to promote gender equality and empower all women and girls. UN Women stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas: addressing gender in governance and leadership; enhancing women’s economic empowerment; ending violence against women and girls; and promoting women’s participation in peace and security and humanitarian action.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Planning and Coordination Specialist manages and implements activities to enhance system-wide coherence on gender equality and the empowerment of women; supports UN Women country presences on the ground in their coordination roles with the United Nations Country Teams in the identification of technical expertise, the implementation of corporate-level accountability tools; and provides support to UN Women country presences to ensure high quality planning processes at regional and country level, including through application of results-based programme planning and management with an emphasis on the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide technical support and guidance to the Regional Director and to UN Women Offices in the region in strategic planning:
- Provide technical support and guidance to regional and country level colleagues in the development and monitoring of work planning processes and in developing strategic notes;
- Lead the team in the regional office to support quality assurance processes for Strategic Notes and Annual Work plans in the region
- Provide technical support to RO and MCO/COs and guidance in the development of regional and country level planning instruments, such as annual work plans, programme/ project documents and strategic notes;
- Collaborate with Regional Evaluation Specialists and country Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) focal points to ensure that findings and lessons from evaluations are reflected in strategic planning processes;
- Provide technical support and guidance to UN Women offices in the development of gender-specific country programming processes and products, including the preparation of UNDAF and other UN system joint programming documents;
- Prepare briefing notes, and any other strategic notes or documents for the Regional Director.
Provide technical support to the Regional Director as well as UN Women offices in the region on inter-agency coordination:
- Provide technical support and guidance to the Regional Director in his/her participation in regional groups and in his/her interagency coordination efforts and related technical bodies as well as the Regional Coordination Mechanism;
- Provide analysis and advice to UN Women offices on engaging United Nations Country Teams (UNCT) and Resident Coordinators (RCs) on gender responsive development assistance;
- Prepare inputs to Common Country Assessment (CCA)/ United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and other documents; provide overall analysis on the UNDAF at the regional level;
- Provide substantive support and representation at conferences, high-level meetings, joint programme development, joint advocacy and research.
Provide technical support and guidance to the development of strategic partnerships and resource mobilization as it relates to Coordination efforts:
- Provide technical support and guidance to UN Women offices on managing activities and other promotional events to engage bilateral and multilateral institutions/ donors, private sector and civil society to expand and/or sustain interest and resources for UN Women programmes and joint UN system programmes;
- As part of strategic planning, provide support and advice to UN Women offices in forging and implementing strategic partnerships to increase UN Women’s positioning in country;
- Liaise with key stakeholders from Government, academia, civil society, the private sector and key international actors to build and strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships on women’s rights and gender equality initiatives, including in support of advancing the implementation of normative commitments such as the review processes for the Commission of the Status of Women, Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, etc.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Lead the development and dissemination of good practices and lessons learned as related to UN Coordination and Strategic Planning; ensure they are incorporated into programme development;
- Provide capacity development support to regional and country level colleagues on results based programme planning and management.
- Excellent knowledge of gender equity and women’s empowerment issues
- Excellent knowledge of UN system and understanding of inter-agency coordination processes
- Excellent knowledge of results based programme planning and management
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to promote and monitor inclusion of gender-specific objectives, indicators, targets and activities in the UN agencies programmes
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in international development, public administration, public policy, or other relevant social science field is required;
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience working with inter-agency coordination and strategic programme planning processes;
- Experience in the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of programmes;
- Experience working in gender equality and women’s rights at the international level a requirement; experience in the Asia-Pacific region a distinct asset;
- Experience working in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset