UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families.
Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfil their potential to the benefit of a better world.
Turkey remains home to the largest registered refugee population in the world. Over 4 million refugees and asylum-seekers are registered in Turkey, of whom nearly 1.7 million are children. While the Government continued to lead the overall crisis response and remained the largest provider of humanitarian aid to Syrians as well as other groups, the overall goal of UNICEF is to reduce the equity gaps affecting the most vulnerable boys and girls.
For every child, an Advocate
If you are committed and passionate about making a lasting difference for children, UNICEF Turkey would like to hear from you.
How can you make a difference?
The intern will support the planning, monitoring and evaluation section in the following areas:
- Provide support in reviewing, cleaning, storing and analyzing data provided by programme sections.
- Provide support in the planning of the new Country Programme, particularly in documenting the conclusions of the consultation processes through text and infographics.
- Provide support in consolidating inputs for end year reports and other analytical documents that the section prepares in collaboration with UNICEF programme sections and/or with other UN agencies.
- Provide support in the preparatory work for evaluations and research activities.
- Support the daily maintenance of the data and resource platforms.
- Maintain contacts with relevant M&E officers of UNICEF partners.
- When required, conduct monitoring field visits to validate data and provide technical support to UNICEF partners.
- Provide technical support to the team in optimizing the use of knowledge management ICT tools such as OneDrive, SharePoint, ECM platform (Enterprise Content Management) and other digital platforms.
- Perform other tasks to support the section, as appropriate.
Stipend: In accordance to UNICEF's guidelines, interns will be paid a nominal stipend per month. There is no expectancy of employment at the end of the internship.
- A nominal lump sum will be paid to the intern for the travel costs to and from the duty station according to UNICEF's guidelines.
- Intern is responsible for obtaining the necessary entry visa and arranging their travel to Ankara. UNICEF/TCO will assist only in issuing documents required in visa processing.
UNICEF will not be responsible for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the intern's service, whether on or off UNICEF premises. Therefore, the selected candidate must provide proof of enrolment in a health/accident plan prior to start his/her work. If accepted, the intern will be required to provide a copy of health insurance coverage and to fill out the relevant UNICEF forms on conditions regarding service as an intern.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completed undergraduate or enrolled in a graduate programme or have graduated within the past two years.
- Have excellent academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
- Excellent use of Excel, data analysis tools (Python, R and/or STATA) and visualization tools is required (PowerBI, Infograph or other). Willingness to learn new software will be key to the selection of the candidate.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of research, evaluation and data collection processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian response and development programmes is an asset.
- Effective communication skills, excellent written English skills and ability to write clearly and succinctly.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Additional consideration will be given for any past work experience.
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity and enthusiasm
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to priorities work and complete tasks with quick turnaround
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Good attention to detail, creativity, analysis, and focus
- High motivation to learn
Language Requirements: Be proficient in English (native speaker level or equivalent). Proficiency in Turkish is a plus.