Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
United Nations Environment Programme, Asuncion, Paraguay
Closing Date for Applications:
The Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for project planning, preparation of work plans and budget, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, and reporting of technical and budgetary execution according to the requirements of UNEP, the Adaptation Fund and MADES.
The Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Perform project planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, and support the coordination of the implementation of the project.
- Prepare procedures, formats and tools for the collection and systematization of project´s information and results, validated by the PMU.
- Identify and advice on opportunities to improve the overall management of the project.
- Prepare reports according to the UNEP and donor´s standards, in close coordination with the PMU.
- Review project´s documents, institutional agreements with the Adaptation Fund, MADES´ regulations, minutes of the Steering Committee and any other necessary information to plan project´s implementation, and report deviations in a timely manner
- Monitor the coordination of project activities with the National Climate Change Direction (NDCC), the Adaptation Department and other relevant MADES’s Departments and Offices, in close consultation with the PMU.
- Monitor the coordination of project activities with other Ministries, relevant Institutions, UNDP and other UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes, and local associates and NGOs, in close coordination with the PMU.
- Monitor the implementation of Project Cooperation Agreements (PCA), Simplified Legal Agreements (SLA) with UNDP and other UN Agencies, UN to UN Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) and cooperation agreements with different partners and stakeholders, in close consultation with UNEP, PMU and MADES
- Identify new relevant partners for the implementation and sustainability of the project, maintain the relationship and ensure synergies with the current and new partners and relevant initiatives and report them in a timely manner.
- Monitor the environmental and social safeguards, the implementation of gender and indigenous communities’ policies in all project activities and report them in a timely manner
- Prepare work plans and project budgets in accordance with the approved project documents and the guidelines and requirements of the Adaptation Fund and UNEP, and in consultation with MADES.
- Provide support to the PMU and monitor the procurement processes and contract of consultants, services and goods, including the quality control of terms of reference or other bidding documents, ensuring that the specifications and procedures are according to UNEP´s requirements or any other procedure duly approved, and report them in a timely manner.
- Ensure that work plans and costs are aligned with the activities and budget approved by the AF.
- Prepare, in close consultation with PMU´s personnel, procedures, formats and tools for the collection and systematization of project´s information and results.
- Monitor the execution of activities and elaborate periodic reports on the progress of work plans and budget execution, in close coordination with the PMU.
- Identify and report on the implementation´s bottlenecks and advice PMU´s personnel on how to overcome them.
- Prepare, in close coordination with the PMU´s personnel, technical and administrative reports of the project for UNEP, AF and MADES.
- Extract the lessons learnt from the project, report them on a timely manner and prepare them for learning exchange.
- Support the construction of the communication strategy and assist in the supervision of the communication products of the project, in close consultation with the PMU.
- Other activities relevant for the fulfillment of the position’s objectives.
- Master’s degree in environmental science, development, business administration or related field is required.
- Additional studies or specific training in project cycle is required.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in development programmes and projects, including at least 3 years of demonstrated experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. (required)
- Demonstrated experience in project coordination/management is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in climate change adaptation or resilience is required.
- Relevant experience overseeing and monitoring social, environmental, gender and indigenous communities’ safeguards is required.
- Relevant experience in project learning is desired.
- Relevant experience with climate change and vulnerable communities is an asset.
- Relevant experience with projects in the Chaco Region of Paraguay is an asset.
- Fluency in written and communication skills in Spanish is required.
- Knowledge of English and Guaraní is desired.