What are you going to do in this position?
You will support the mapping and monitoring of markets for the VAM Unit of WFP Cameroon. This will allow the unit to increase the output in terms of food security, nutrition, and market situation maps. You will also liaise with the sub-offices and the Agricultural Surveys and Statistics Division (DESA) of MINADER in order to strengthen their capacities for all matters relating to mapping and monitoring of market prices. You will also ensure compliance with the highest WFP standards in terms of market mapping and monitoring, analysis and presentation of data.
Why work with us?
- WFP provides food assistance to more than 86 million people in 83 countries, including Cameroon. Your work will have a positive impact on the lives of the world's most vulnerable people.
- You will join a diverse team of professionals and have the opportunity to share your experiences with your colleagues and continuously learn from each other.
- WFP invests in the training and development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, mentoring and other programs as well as international mobility opportunities.
- Our team is growing nationally and internationally and the timing of joining us couldn't be better!
Placed under the direct supervision of the VAM Officer, your main responsibilities will be:
- Update the Geographic Information System (GIS) of WFP activities in Cameroon;
- Produce, update and edit thematic maps on MAP activities;
- Ensure standardized integration of information into the GIS database for mapping;
- Transfer and digitize spatial data;
- Coordinate with other state and parastatal institutions, NGOs and other agencies of the United Nations System in Cameroon in order to feed the WFP GIS database;
- Set up a quantitative and cartographic database on the evolution of the main indicators of food and nutritional security;
- Assist PAM partners in mapping for their reports and presentations;
- Strengthen the WFP market information system, by monitoring the collection of price data by the sub-offices, the transfer of data to a centralized database, the data cleaning and uploading to Corporate platforms of WFP;
- Analyze the data thus collected and participate in the production of information documents (bulletins, reports, dashboards, etc.) with WFP partners in Cameroon to provide information on the market situation and WFP programs;
- Support WFP's broader efforts in terms of market monitoring, management of food price data, the creation of synergy in the various WFP units and participation in market surveys such as the MFI;
- Actively contribute to studies such as ICA (Integrated Context Analysis) and ESIA (Environmental Screening of Program Impacts)
- Participate in the coordination of market information systems (MIS) together with state and parastatal institutions, NGOs and other UN agencies in order to ensure perfect knowledge of markets and their functioning;
- Build the cartographer and market analysis capacities of WFP staff and partner organizations;
- Coordinate mapping and market analysis activities with the Regional Office;
- Perform any other task required as required by the unit.
Qualifications and Key Requirements
Education : High school diploma (GCE A level or baccalaureate). Having a university degree (Bac + 3), in the following fields, is desirable: Cartography, statistics, economics, monitoring and evaluation, social sciences, development studies or other similar fields.
Experience : 3 years of professional experience in statistical analysis, econometrics, cartography and / or database management, preferably with a United Nations agency;
- Good knowledge of the humanitarian sector, food security analysis, mapping and data analysis and visualization;
- Attention to detail, efficiency and meeting deadlines;
- Be able to stay in rural areas and work in difficult environments;
- Be able to work in a team, independently and under pressure within short deadlines;
- Excellent computer skills, MS Office including word processing, Outlook, spreadsheets and other software packages.
- Excellent knowledge of mapping software (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.).
- Knowledge of statistical software (SPSS, Stata and / or R) and visualization software such as Tableau is an asset.
Languages : Fluency in French or English and a working knowledge of the second language.