The Policy Manager, Digital Financial Services (DFS), will be primarily responsible for guiding and ensuring that working group members gain and translate knowledge related to the development, regulation and supervision of financial inclusion policy, into concrete action to deliver on their financial inclusion policy agenda. This position requires content development and dissemination of policy trends to promote AFI as a policy driving network. The Policy Manager will also oversee and facilitate the Working Groups related to DFS, support the development of their respective work plans, and provide technical guidance by coordinating closely with AFI members.
The Policy Manager will also be responsible for supporting policy analysis within the field of DFS, grant making to members, capacity building, member engagement, production of knowledge products, and network knowledge management. Also, the Policy Manager is responsible in providing intellectual input on digital financial services, which will include guiding public and private sector convergence on technical payment platform infrastructure under a market-based approach. Also, the Policy Manager’s work will help engage financial service providers to foster solutions that incentivize healthy competition and product innovation, and new business models related to digital financial services.
The Policy Manager will:
- be directly accountable to the Head, Policy Programs and Regional Initiatives;
- liaise and work closely with the Executive Director’s Office, Communications, Monitoring and Evaluation, Capacity Building, Grants and Knowledge Management;
- develop and maintain relationships with appropriate external partners; and
- manage consultants that may be required to support activities related to the DFS Working Group work plan.
- Facilitate the DFS Working Group, including direct support to the WG chairs, taking the lead in organizing WG meetings, managing expert input to the WG, and coordinating WG output with the overall AFI learning agenda;
- Assist policymakers and regulators from the AFI network in analyzing and documenting policy success stories within DFS;
- Provide expert analysis of regulatory frameworks (existing and proposed) for mobile financial services;
- Track and analyze policy innovations and trends in DFS policy to support the Working Groups and AFI Network;
- Take responsibility for high-level policy dialogues on DFS, e.g. organization of sessions at the AFI Global Policy Forum and other conferences;
- Participate in and present at relevant events sharing and disseminating insights and knowledge from the AFI network;
- Identify, conceptualize, and manage the development of AFI policy knowledge products and case studies related to DFS;
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key stakeholders in the field of DFS and (development partners, academics & research institutions, private sector etc.)
The ideal candidate should have significant and relevant experience in the field of mobile financial services. Atleast 5-7 years of experience working in or with central banks, finance ministries, international and/or financial inclusion-related organizations would also be an advantage. A Master’s degree in a relevant field such as international development, finance, public sector policy and administration with qualifications in economics, management or project management would be advantages.
Planning and Organizing
- establishes goal-orientated courses of action for self and others
- identifies criteria to measure completion and success
- sets, allocates and manages resources and priorities
- documents plans and their requirements
- ability to influence and guide others to achieve common goals
- demonstration of strong negotiation, communication, advocacy, and interpersonal skills
- ability to contribute to building productive relationships and partnerships across the organisation and with stakeholders
- ability to think and act with a long-term perspective – to develop and implement plans and projects that deliver strategic and long-term outcomes
- strong interpersonal skills in working with people from diverse cultures, personalities and disciplines.
Technical Knowledge and Analytical Skills
- has high level of technical knowledge related to the job
- maintains technical/professional currency
- applies technical knowledge in an appropriate and effective manner
- secures relevant information, ensures information base is appropriately wide/deep
- compares information, identifies key issues, recognizes information gaps/limitations
- asks appropriate questions to identify/clarify underlying issues/problems/opportunities
- identifies trends and relationships, draws logical conclusions
- sets high professional goals and standards
- sets example and imposes professional excellence
- encourages and supports focus on quality
Communication (Oral and/or Written)
- strong presentation skills
- communicates ideas effectively to a range of individuals and audiences
- communicates from the receiver’s perspective and facilitates their understanding
- establishes the benefits of the information or recommendations to other parties
- Strong English writing and editing skills.