Are you passionate about policy engagement and shaping policy direction? Do you have a good understanding of African economies and the civil policy arena?
Come join our team of tax justice champions and be a part of effecting affirmative change on tax policies across several African economies.
Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA) is a Pan African advocacy and research organisation with 31 members spread across 16 African countries. At Tax Justice Network Africa we believe in promoting tax justice and, advocate for progressive and equitable taxation. Through the Secretariat based in Nairobi, TJNA has established strategic partnerships at national, regional and global levels to influence tax- related policies laws and regulations.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced and talented Policy Research and Advocacy Manager to lead the Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA) Policy teams, and departmental unit, in these key aspects:
- Research coordination,
- Policy engagement at regional and global level,
- Technical backstopping on our national level advocacy.
This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and skilled person with a deep understanding of how the political policy environment works and how to effect change. As a member of the senior management team, you will lead the programmatic work of TJNA.
You will work closely with the Executive Director, senior management team and strategic partners in shaping TJNA's overall policy direction.
In this role, you will:
Promote and actively engage in Policy Advocacy
- Develop initiatives and partnerships to engage and influence the leading economic institutions, Regional Economic Communities in Africa in policy articulation and formulation on tax.
- Provide support to shaping effective strategies in the communication of policies aimed at influencing relevant policy targets.
- Provide support to develop strategies to strengthen National Tax Platforms and encourage the engagement of TJNA members, partners and allies in relevant pan- African programs, networks, and public domain(s) to advance the tax agenda.
- Maintain a close liaison with global tax advocacy partners including affiliates and allies of the Tax Justice Movement.
- Serve as the key contact person for tax advocacy across the African continent and links with TJNA and allies globally.
Oversee Programme Coordination
- Lead in the development, planning and monitor the execution of the activities in the four programmatic areas of International tax, extractives, investments, and inequality.
- Develop and monitor the annual budget for all programmatic activities.
- Develop and effectively manage programmes timelines to ensure timely completion of program deliverables.
- Coordinate the day to day operations of the programmes with guidance from the Executive Director.
- Monitor and provides quality control in the delivery of the programme activities.
- Oversee the recruitment, retention and development of highly talented staff with the right technical and personal abilities to meet the programme goals.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance within the programmes
- Ensure regular quality and timely reporting and documentation of work plan implementation against agreed budgets
- Conduct Policy Driven Research and Knowledge Generation
- Lead in setting TJNA research agenda by identifying emerging policy trends that require TJNA research interventions.
- Manage TJNA research projects across the four TJNA thematic areas to inform the advocacy agenda including defining research questions/topics/timelines and developing research RFPs and TORs
- Coordinate the communicate TJNA research projects to internal and external constituents through different traditional and innovative channels (research reports, convening, training, conference presentations, web resources, exhibitions, etc.).
- Develop an internal framework and guideline for TJNA writing, editing, and quality control for research reports/presentations.
- Work with the thematic leads to coordinate and provide technical backstopping of research projects led or conducted by TJNA members and collaborating Partners
- Lead in the design development and tracking of the implementation long term policy research projects including the Fair Tax Monitor and the IFF Policy Tracker
- Lead the Policy team in compiling and strategic dissemination of TJNA research and knowledge products
- Support fundraising for TJNA research activities.
As an Experienced Policy advocate and program leader:
- You are a progressive thinker, driven by passion and commitment to advancing human rights and economic justice in Africa.
- Have knowledge and understanding of Africa’s political economy, institutional ecosystem, policy processes relevant to domestic resource mobilization.
- Have a proven track record of resources, partnerships, management of internal and external relationships.
- Are able to articulate your own principles and expectations and act consistently to uphold these in line with organizational processes and values.
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of how government and parliaments work.
- Understand how to generate public interest and participation in campaigns and the ability to lobby and engage in active public campaigning.
- Have a proven track record on strategic leadership and management.
- Master’s degree in economics, political science, development studies or related field from a recognized institution.
- Overall experience of 10 years with at least 5 years in a managerial and leadership role, within policy research, advocacy and program management functions; preferably in a non-governmental organization or civil institutions
- Experience in research coordination and knowledge generation
- Strong advocacy experience
- Experience in program coordination
- Experience in economic justice is an added advantage
- Ability to communicate and work in English. Fluency in French is desired and an added advantage
- Ability to collaborate and work within a cross-cultural setting
- Willingness to travel for at least 25% of the time.
What We Can Offer:
We are a small dedicated team of 20 staff who we are connected by our passionate cause. We uphold a high work ethic that fosters team spirit while supporting creativity and continuous learning. In addition to a great culture and a collaborative team environment we offer:
- Gross Salary USD 48,000-54,000 P.A (based on skills and qualifications)
- A work environment that supports diversity and inclusivity
- International exposure through regular travels
- Flexible working conditions
- Career growth through continuous on job learning, mentoring and training
- Relocation Allowance to non-Kenyans with a work permit