Population Assessment Specialist, Multiple positions
UNOPS, Home Based, Serbia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Under the direct supervision of the European PROGRES Programme Manager, with the support from the OSCE Mission to Serbia, that has been endowed with a responsibility for the overall coordination of the assignment, and in close cooperation with the team of international and experts from the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, the Population Assessment Specialist will be responsible for development of the methodology for acquiring population estimates in PreÅ¡evo, Bujanovac and MedveÄa.
The Population Assessment Specialist will undertake following specific tasks/duties:
- Establish and maintain close cooperation with the team of experts, including the representatives of the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, throughout the duration of the assignment.
- Review key available reports, studies, and data on population estimates and demographic trends in the three targeted municipalities.
- Get acquainted with the methodologies and technologies that were applied when the official Censuses in Serbia was conducted, with a focus on the results from 1991, 2002, and 2011.
- Review the methodology applied for acquiring population estimates used by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia.
- Have meetings with the representatives of the Government of Serbia, international organisations, and embassies that are supporting this intervention in order to reconfirm details of the assignment, keep them informed about the progress and address issues that could emerge.
- Visit the three south Serbia municipalities, meet with local Albanian and Serbian officials and other relevant local stakeholders in order to acquire sound understanding of issues regarding the past censuses and existing population data.
- In cooperation with the team of experts, develop methodology for acquiring population estimates in PreÅ¡evo, Bujanovac and MedveÄa. The methodology should be based on acknowledged international standards for this field, coherent with the European Statistics Code of Practice, and in line with the legal framework in Serbia. It should take into consideration of existing circumstances and issues regarding the state of population statistics and demographic data in the three municipalities.
- Present the methodology to the key stakeholders from the Government, the three municipalities, international organisations, and embassies that support the assessment.
- Contribute to public presentation of the assignment and its results, as appropriate and agreed with the key stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance for preparations and actual acquiring population estimates based on the agreed methodology.
- Master degree in relevant social science, statistics or other relevant field for the assignment.
- Relevant Bachelor degree with additional two years of professional experience would be accepted in lieu of Master degree.
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience in the area of population estimates, demographics, census is required.
- Experience in development of strategic documents used to support legislative changes at the national level.
- Demonstrated experience with census or population estimates in a European context; knowledge and experience of methodologies of assessing population data in south-east Europe is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required