ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
The Post-Doc of Gender will:
- Work with gender researchers in A4NH, Dryland Cereals and Grain Legumes
- Do a historical analysis of breeding of the dryland cereals and grain legumes that will focus on the development and implemented of PVS and how PVS was integrated in the breeding process
- Develop a gender analysis of how the program was conceptualized and implemented in the process and outcomes of the breeding program
- Focus on the results of the PVS, especially the different preferences of the men and women and how this influenced the breeding program and eventually the adoption of the breeding products and nutritional outcomes
- Identify areas of absence of gender considerations in the processes and their impact and implications for breeding, adoption, and nutrition
- Make recommendations on how to improve the process of PVS, integration of gender for improved impacts in dryland cereals, grain legumes and nutritional research
- Document the history of PVS and participatory breeding for our mandate crops through interviews and oral-histories of scientists who played a key-role in the development and adoption of PVS
- Prepare publications for peer-review journals and make presentations at professional conferences
- PhD with a strong focus on gender issues in Rural Sociology, Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, Development Studies, African Studies or Post-Colonial Studies
- Experience with agriculture, nutrition and Plant Breeding desirable
- Experience in data set management and analysis would be an advantage
- Proven ability to work with an interdisciplinary team (constituting of social and biophysical scientists)
- 1-2 years relevant experience in the developing world, agriculture and gender
- Excellent language skills in English and French is a must
- The Fellowship is for One year and extendable based on funding availability.
- An attractive compensation in US Dollars will be offered to the right candidate
- This position is located in Bamako, Mali
How to apply
- Applicants should apply on or before 15 August, 2015, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
- All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.