ICRISAT, Lilongwe, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
- ICRISAT invites applications for the position of Post-Doctoral fellow- Plant Breeding and Seed Systems This position is based at ICRISAT Malwai, hosted by Chitedze Agricultural Research Institute Lilongwe.
- This position reports to the Scientist.
- ICRISAT is a non-profit organization that helps empower poor people in the rural drylands of Africa and Asia to overcome poverty, hunger and malnutrition, through making agriculture profitable and sustainable.
- We achieve this through scientific advancements and working in partnership. ICRISAT, established in 1972 is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Lead a team of scientific officers and technicians in deployment of new advances in genomics and genetics to develop resilient groundnut varieties.
- Work with the Global Genetics Gains Program in pre-breeding, forward breeding activities.
- Collaborate with the Global and Regional ICRISAT and NARS scientists in breeding new groundnut varieties for east and southern Africa.
- Support groundnut and other legume seed systems activities in the region through both management and technical roles
- Work with ICRISAT and other scientists to apply genomic selection-based breeding designs in collaboration with other quantitative geneticists and plant breeders.
- Working with and/or supporting National Agricultural Research Systems to breed and release groundnuts varieties.
- Engaging National Extension Services, private sector and Civil society to promote new varieties and support emergence of seed based enterprises
- Lead a team of technician and scientific officers working closely with the overall team leader in groundnut breeding and seed systems
- Write reports (scientific and technical) working with the team leader.
- Hold a doctoral degree in Plant Breeding, agronomy, biology, genetics or related discipline obtained preferably within the last three years
- Have good working knowledge of Plant breeding and some experience in seed systems
- Have knowledge of molecular biology and its applications in plant breeding especially marker assisted breeding
- Demonstrate evidence of scholarly growth with at least one publication in refereed journals.
- Be a strong team player with communication skills, experience in supervising other
- The position is for Three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
- An attractive compensation is offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
- Applicants should apply on or before 27-July-2016, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience.
- All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted