The Principal Evaluation Officer contributes to the delivery of the division work program by leading moderately complex evaluations, supervising evaluation teams, and mentoring and coaching junior colleagues, and supporting work programme management and the Independent Development Evaluation Department’s quality assurance activities of the Bank’s interventions (including policies, strategies and operations) in the areas covered by the Division, in particular activities related to the private sector, infrastructure (including transport, ICT, urban development, water and sanitation), industrialization, power systems, energy, climate change, and green growth.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager Division.1, the Principal Evaluation Officer will:
- Undertake Evaluation Activities: Design, conduct and report on evaluations in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Manual and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards and the Evaluation Cooperation Group Good Practice Standards).
- Undertake Meta-Evaluations and Meta-Analyses; Lead, and guide meta-evaluations and meta-analyses including designs, and methods (for literature search, and data collection, analysis and reporting).
- Undertake Evaluation Quality Management: Contribute to updating the Independent Development Evaluation Department evaluation quality standards, and quality assurance processes, tools and capacity.
- Contribute to the capture of learning from evaluation design to evaluation dissemination for use in updating the Independent Development Evaluation Department evaluation manual, and for staff learning events.
- Manage human and financial resources of a multi-disciplinary evaluation team to ensure the delivery of complex and concurrent evaluations that are conducted in an independent, cost-effective, rigorous and timely manner.
- Promote the mandate of the evaluation function and contribute to the creation of an evaluation culture in the Bank and in Regional Member Countries (RMC).
- Contribute to positioning the Independent Development Evaluation Department as an innovator on the leading-edge among other multilateral institutions and to maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Evaluation Function.
- Contribute to building strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the Bank to further the Evaluation Function’s mandate and engage in evaluation communities of practice within and outside the Bank. Provide substantive input to these communities and share lessons of experience.
- Contribute to the preparation of Independent Development Evaluation Department’s three-year rolling work programme and annual report.
- Perform any other assigned tasks.
- Holds at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Development Evaluation, Finance, Business Administration, Sociology, Development, Statistics, Policy analysis, Public administration, or other international development related field. A certificate/diploma in development evaluation, development oriented research and/or program/project planning, management and evaluation is an advantage.
- A minimum of six (6) years’ experience in as a development evaluator/researcher; designing, conducting, managing, and reporting development evaluation/research studies.
- Significant knowledge in quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation methods.
- Broad knowledge of evaluation theories and practice including evaluation needs assessment, design and implementation.
- Proven operational and field experience working in complex development programs.
- Knowledge of operational/policy areas, procedures and practice of the African Development Bank or other multilateral development Banks and/or other international development agencies.
- Operational experience relating, in particular, to areas covered by the Division, such as private sector, infrastructure (including transport, ICT, urban development, water and sanitation), industrialization, power systems, energy, climate change, and green growth.
- Substantial experience in development planning, management and evaluation in Multilateral Development Banks or other international development agencies
- Strong theoretical and operational knowledge of international development issues and theories relating, in particular, to Africa
- Experience in providing strategic advice to senior management.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff.
- Substantial experience in evaluation in Multilateral Development Banks or other international development agencies desirable.
- Substantial experience in managing human and financial resources.
- Experience to lead multidisciplinary teams, and work in diverse and multi-cultural settings
- Ability to communicate effectively (in writing and orally) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of integrated document management system and/or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages is an added advantage.