Private Sector and Foundations Team Lead
World Bank Group, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The External Relations team (EXR) responsibilities include donor relations, communications, advocacy, civil society outreach, private sector and private foundation outreach and it has the primary responsibility for overseeing GPE’s Fourth Financing Campaign. The Private Sector and Foundations Team (PS&F) is part of the External Relations Team (EXR). This team is leading on the implementation of the Board approved private sector and foundations strategies. In addition, the team is behind the work of GPE’s Education Data Solutions Roundtable and broader engagement of the business community with GPE, and its engagement with the philanthropic foundations community. The team also manages the Secretariat’s support to the Private Foundations and the Private Sector constituencies.
Duties and Accountabilities
The successful candidate will be a senior member of the External Relations Team (EXR) in the GPE Secretariat and serve on the EXR leadership team.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Lead a small team and oversee the implementation of the Board approved strategies for GPE’s engagement with the business community and philanthropy, to secure a variety of support for GPE’s work at global and country level, including finance, in-kind contributions and expertise, and thought leadership regarding education system challenges and bottlenecks.
- Ensure the development and implementation of frameworks and implementation plans pursuant to the private sector and foundations engagement strategies that facilitate the achievement of their related objectives.
- Serve as a senior representative of the GPE Secretariat before the business and foundations communities and forums and gatherings hosted by these communities. Cultivate relations with key business and foundations senior representatives and leaders.
- Responsible and accountability for achieving finance campaign targets and additional resource mobilization and co-financing/matching targets framed by the GPE 2025 strategic plan.
- Serve as the relationship manager for the Board representatives of the two related constituencies, facilitate their thought leadership and guidance and ensure that these members are supported for their governance roles.
- Lead a dynamic and highly functioning team, showing the highest standards of team cohesion and performance.
- Serve as a member of the EXR leadership team and contribute to the development of external relations strategies, work plans and budgets.
- Master’s degree in international development, business administration, economics or finance, or a relevant related field with at least 15 years relevant experience, including at least 5 years in a team management role (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Relevant private sector and foundations engagement and program partnership development experience, sovereign donor engagement experience, strong familiarity with international development.
- At least 5 years of team management/leadership experience, preferably leading teams involved in similar work, in a global development setting.
- Expertise in project lead and co-creation/cooperation development in global education, health or other areas relevant to the work of Global Partnership.
- Experience with cross-cultural dynamics, political sensitivity, strong negotiation skills.
- Willingness to work in a complex environment and travel to developing countries.
- Ability to work effectively in teams and collaborate with other team members and contribute productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Strong analytical, writing and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize and juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines, and to deliver time-sensitive high-quality work.
- Ability to communicate and write competently in English; working proficiency in a second language (either French, Spanish or Arabic) desired.