To get to a world with Zero Hunger faster, WFP - the world’s largest humanitarian organization - is investing in and growing private sector fundraising and partnerships to reach more people. The Private Partnerships and Fundraising Division (PPF) is responsible for engaging the private sector (corporations, individuals, foundations) through high-impact partnerships in support of WFP's strategic priorities.
Serving as a broker between WFP and the private sector, PPF strives to mobilize funding, technical assistance, innovative solutions and visibility and awareness to help WFP fulfil its mission. PPF also serves as the in-house ‘consultant’ guiding WFP Regional Bureaux (RB), Country Offices (COs) and HQ Functional Units on partnership development, best practices, compliance and rules and regulations.
Starting in 2020, WFP embarked upon a new partnership and engagement strategy, which focuses on cooperation with the business sector, foundations and individuals. The PPF Division is focusing its efforts over the next strategic period (2020-2025) around three key pillars:
Impact: partnerships that provide expertise and skills to support capacity strengthening for WFP and local governments
Income: investing in and growing fundraising
Innovation: identifying areas for innovation uniquely able to drive change at scale
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
PPF Division is looking for a motivated individual to support in the management of key partnerships and prospecting of new opportunities with a specific focus on technical partnerships. The private sector is uniquely qualified to play a leadership role in ending hunger. Some of the largest and most respected brands in the world - such as Mastercard and Royal DSM - are helping achieve zero hunger by enabling WFP to strengthen operations, reach more people, fund lifesaving programs and build public support. They choose to partner with WFP because of WFP's reach, scale and track record to create innovative partnerships that leverage their unique strengths and create lasting impact.
The selected candidate will be joining PPF’s Rome-based Technical Partnerships team, which is responsible for developing partnerships which leverage the expertise and skills of the private sector in order to support the achievement of SDG2.
- Support the on-going supervision of a portfolio of partnerships, soliciting contributions, providing ongoing stewardship and assessing results in order to maximise resourcing and technical support raised for WFP;
- Collaborate with different internal stakeholders to develop value propositions for prospecting and partnership development activities;
- Support the development of presentations and co-create (technical) partnerships concepts in coordination with WFP technical units and field operations for potential partners and submit grant applications;
- Ensure strategic oversight, programme coherence and governance of large partnerships;
- Build and maintain positive relationships with private sector counterparts;
- Handle complex sales processes and help negotiate advantageous contributions;
- Drive the development of internal and external communications strategies to ensure optimal partnership visibility;
- Facilitate secondments and short-term placements with WFP by private sector staff;
- Serve as focal point for technical units, regional bureaux and/or Global Offices and proactively support their effective and successful engagement with the private sector, including by identifying and engaging new private sector prospects;
- Liaise with in-house services to ensure proper fund management, grant registrations and fulfilment of contractual obligations and ensure timely and accurate reporting;
- Assist with contract preparation and tracking and accurate record keeping in salesforce;
- Coach and provide guidance to junior staff;
- Represent WFP at key external partnership/ private sector events to position WFP as a partner of choice;
- Support on special team projects and undertake additional responsibilities as needed.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- Support the mapping of organizational needs and development of partnership value propositions
- Map opportunities with private sector actors in specific industries or geographies
- Deliver best-in-class stewardship of all partnerships under purview
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least six years of progressive experience working in partnership development, project management, marketing and communications, sales or account management roles. Knowledge of international development a plus.
- Track record of securing significant new partnerships or renewing complex partnership and securing growth.
- Preference given to candidates with experience in measuring and evaluating the impact of technical partnerships.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and manage a sales process.
- Detailed understanding of the private sector, Sustainability, CSR and corporate philanthropy, as well as the humanitarian and development sectors.
- Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Marketing Communications, Management, International Development, or other relevant field - or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings.
- Experience in service-oriented roles working with both internal and external stakeholders to build relationships and deliver join workplans.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information with a variety of individuals
- Good attention to detail and strong communication skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and follow clear instructions.
- Ability to think creatively and deliver on commitments.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English.
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language would be a plus.