Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030:
- End extreme poverty by decreasing the percentage of people living on less than $1.90 a day to no more than 3%
- Promote shared prosperity by fostering the income growth of the bottom 40% for every country
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. We are not a bank in the ordinary sense but a unique partnership to reduce poverty and support development. The World Bank Group comprises five institutions managed by their member countries.
The Corporate Procurement Division, SPACP, is responsible for the procurement of goods, works, services and consulting to support the Word Bank Group’s offices worldwide and spends approximately $1.9 billion annually with a staff of 72 located both in Washington, DC and Chennai, India. Procurement personnel in SPACP are assigned to seven (7) Procurement Teams each reporting to a Team Leader.
In performing its role, the Corporate Procurement Division provides high quality, customer-oriented services to the World Bank Group by:
- Providing best value procurement solutions, giving the WBG access to quality goods and services at the best price;
- Assisting staff with procurement requirements through planning, solicitation, evaluation, supplier assessment, contracting and contract management and administration;
- Developing and maintaining policies and procedures related to the procurement of goods and services and guidelines and tools to help assure compliance with procurement rules, practices and techniques, regulations and procedures; and
- Coordinating with staff in HQ and Country Offices on matters relating to procurement rules by providing assistance, advice, training and guidance when needed.
- Developing and maintaining trusted relationships with key stakeholders both inside and external to the Bank Group.
The Procurement Analyst (Category Analyst) position is located at the Corporate Procurement Division (SPACP) in Chennai, India. This position reports to the Team Lead, Category Support Team who in turn reports to the Deputy Chief and Head of Category Support and Infrastructure, Corporate Procurement. SPACP is responsible for the acquisition of goods and services to support World Bank Group’s offices worldwide.
The Procurement Analyst works with clients to develop annual procurement plans, develop and execute contracts, conduct needs assessment, review specifications, conduct RFPs/IFBs, perform contract administration, negotiations and dispute/conflict resolution.
The position requires high level skills and relevant work experience in the field of procurement, contracting and category management across a variety of industry sectors, contract management, dispute resolution, advising Project Managers, managing interpersonal relationships and communication.
The categories and subcategories belonging to the various category teams such as Information Technology, Professional Services, Financial Services, Human Resources, and Corporate Services and Real Estate are operational & administrative consulting/professional services, financial services, subscription services, software and hardware systems, treasury systems, software licensing, data subscriptions, telecommunications, construction and renovation services; architectural and engineering services; facilities management services; food, conference and global meetings management services; child care services; translation services; printing and graphics; security services; mail and messenger services, audio visual services; travel services, transportation services, temp and contingent labor, medical, benefits, learning, and acquisition of various goods and services.
This position requires knowledge of the relevant industry to assure that the Bank Group gets the best value in all its procurements. This requires knowledge of the supply market, method of procurement, logistics, disposal, preventive maintenance, and support for various goods and services.
Due to the requirements of the job, this position may involve travel and frequent adjustments to the work schedule created by the time zone difference with many of the clients it supports.
Duties & Accountabilities:
- Conducts procurement, sourcing and category management relevant to the categories assigned and required by the World Bank Group in the US as well as internationally.
- Understands client’s needs, generates solicitations and manages bidding process for assigned areas; collaborates with clients in developing procurement plans; carries out market research to identify sources of supply; reviews technical specifications for completeness, errors, omissions and competitive qualities; develops vendor pre-qualifying and evaluation criteria; and prepares contracts and conducts pre-bid or proposal conferences.
- Negotiates contract terms and conditions for the assigned categories.
- Category management of designated categories.
- Analyzes financial reports (cash flow statements, income statements, balance sheets) of major corporations considered for contract awards and conducts marketplace analysis.
- Plans and manages negotiation process, resolves purchase and contract issues.
- Analyses bids and proposals, prepares support documentation and procurement award recommendations.
- Conducts dispute and protest debriefings/meetings.
- Monitors vendor performance and ensures timely delivery and quality of services, expedites delivery as appropriate.
- Conducts research, trend analysis and benchmarking in international markets including category management.
- Leads/guides headquarters and remotely located teams performing medium to complex procurements.
- Liaises with and makes presentations to procurement review committees.
- Undertakes contract administration to ensure compliance with Bank policy and contract terms. May provide guidance and direction to Project Managers on contract management issues.
- Has signature authority up to $500,000.
- Designs innovative solutions for medium to complex solicitations for large dollar and/or high visibility contracts.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Bank staff at all levels, typically Business Unit Managers, Country Directors and Managers, Chief Administrative Officers, Legal Department Representatives, Resource Managers, Administrative Procurement Committee Members, Officers, and Project Task Leaders.
- Consultants and vendor personnel, typically sales representatives, heads of companies and VPs, account managers and commodity specialists, and technical representatives.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Science, Commerce, Law or other relevant discipline; a nationally/internationally recognized Professional Certification (CPSM, CIPS or equivalent); or equivalent combination of education and experience coupled with courses / certificates in procurement.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience.
- Practical experience in international procurement with full knowledge of procurement techniques and practices used in the public and private sector and experience in contract drafting and administration.
- Knowledge and understanding of Public Sector and or UN System procurement processes is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience conducting procurements for a wide variety of categories and in category management.
- Experience in executing solicitations and contracts in a services organization.
- Experience with international sourcing and contracting desirable.
- Effective negotiating and presentation skills.
- Experience in use of business related software (e.g., Word, Excel, Email, ERP etc.); experience using SAP R3 Materials Management and MS Outlook is desirable.
- Proven analytical skills, including ability to analyze corporate financial statements/reports and develop well-balanced recommendations on procurement awards and related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with complex procurement situations.
- Ability to proactively manage the work program, contribute to team responsibilities and manage client expectations.
- Project Management Skills.