UNDP Malawi is increasing year by year significantly procurement activities and further increase is expected in 2018/2019.New various Project are in a pipeline and the CO needs to increase procurement capacity. The CO is supporting national partners in procurement as there is not sufficient capacity for procurement up to international standards. (CO support to NEX) Procurement Analyst will conduct various trainings on procurement and will ensure that this capacity improves. The number of DEX projects has increased. In order to meet this demand International Procurement Analyst Fixed Term function is indispensable. The CO wishes to professionalize its procurement in CO and participate in capacity development in procurement for national partners. Presently there are three national staff members in Procurement Unit, including travel and conferences, (GS7, GS5 and GS4). The number of SSA contracts has also increased recently and as it is part of procurement function, the right overview has to be ensured.
UNDP Malawi supports also UN non-resident agencies with projects based in Malawi. UNDP Malawi is also active member of Interagency Procurement Group as part of Delivering as One and is managing common services therefore various contracts have to established and managed at the professional level to the full satisfaction of UN Agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative(O), the Procurement Analyst ensures the provision of effective and efficient Procurement Supply Management activities, with the following responsibilities:
Ensures elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitates full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies including elaboration of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Facilitates Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit, harmonization of the workflows in the office;
- Elaboration and implementation of contract strategy, including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, evaluation and negotiation of offers, management of the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment;
- Elaboration and implementation of strategic procurement including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
Ensures efficient management of procurement processes for UNDP, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure timely and proper preparation of procurement plans;
- Ensure utilization of Uses the existing LTA architecture for procurement of goods and services;
- Implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes including organization of tender documents, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids or proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Certification of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (RACP and ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders (PO) are duly prepared approved in ATLAS and dispatched. Ensure timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement;
- Actively participates in Operating as One and towards strengthening governmental capacity and provides support and guidance to all stakeholders in procurement at all stages of the procurement cycle where appropriate.
Ensures elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaborates on the development and/or review of tools, processes and systems for the planning, management and monitoring of procurement activities.
- Conducts market research to keep abreast of market developments, research and analyze statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of goods and services;
- Collaborates with corporate procurement colleagues to oversee adherence to contractual agreements, recommend amendments and contract extensions, advise concerned parties with respect to contractual rights/obligations;
- Prepares a variety of procurement related documents, including purchase orders, contracts, communications, guidelines, instructions etc.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides training and guidance to a team of procurement staff within the project and develops work plans and priorities, monitors achievements and evaluates performance of staff;
- Supervises assets management of all assets of UNDP in compliance with the UNDP Asset Management Rules and Regulations including but not limited to recording, coordinating and reconciling asset inventory including physical verification of assets on sites, asset transfer, disposal, write-off and synchronization of Asset Inventory and ATLAS;
- Maintaining electronic and hardcopy files and records to ensure proper accountability;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates capacity to plan and organize ones work effectively, including support to design, planning and implementation of projects, management of data and reporting.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking, including a sound understanding of the framework of UNDP’s cooperation with various donors.
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients, including the Global Fund and the UN family of agencies.
- Uses knowledge and reasoning to identify the strength and weaknesses of alternate solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems.
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to contract and procurement management.
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in Business, Economics, Public Administration or any development related field and/or a degree in procurement.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in procurement, preferably with UN Agency.
- UNDP Procurement Certification Level 1 is mandatory (to be completed within 6 months of appointment)
- CIPS (level II, III, IV) is an asset
- Prior procurement experience in high volume processes is an asset.
- Solid experience in the management of people and systems in high-pressure environments;
- Strong IT skills;
- Experience of UN or UNDP procurement policies and procedures highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential.